Looking to learn to lead (Central Wyoming Area)

Original Post
Adam Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I currently live in Casper and I'm looking to learn to lead climb (sport + trad) as well as exploring multi-pitch. I've been out to Fremont Canyon several times but haven't been able to find a knowledgeable partner to help me learn. I've mostly just been restricted to top roping which I've done at various places around the country and I feel comfortable with.

I took a JHMG climbing class a couple years ago where we followed the guide up a multi-pitch, but it wasn't too incredibly insightful as far as gear placement / lead climbing goes.

My other experience includes extensive backpacking in the Grand Teton area and an ascent of Rainier last summer.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0

Get super proficient and quick with the basics: knots, rope handling , belaying with various devices, flaking rope in and out of a hanging belay, anchor transitions, etc.

Most mentors are not too excited to climb with somebody who fumbles around with that stuff.

mike gibson · · Rapid City, SD · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

1. Read all you can. This website and many others have a vast multitude of threads, posts, blogs, and articles on the subject. Even after 30 years of climbing, I still run across new information especially regarding trad techniques.

2. You can practice trad gear placement on the ground. Go to the fremont bridge parking area and poke around on the hill above the parking area to the north. (assuming you have some trad gear). One thing in particular to try, in multiple scenarios or locations, is anchor building.

3. You can psuedo lead on toprope, or lead some really easy stuff (i.e. 5.2) just to get the hang of using the gear. Start small/easy and work your way up.

4. There is a slight chance that I might be over that way in a couple weeks and could spend a bit of time showing you some basics.

Zach Wahrer · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 4,250

Everything said above is great advice. It's definitely a long drive, but if you are willing to make a trip up here to Bozeman, I'll take you out for couple days and do some mentoring. Not an ideal situation for you, but if it works out, I'd be happy to teach you.

Bryant hall · · Cody, WY · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

I live in Casper (recent move). Sent a pm

Joe Falcone · · casper · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Moved to Casper this fall have not gotten out much yet but am looking for some local partners.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply