Mountain Project Logo

Climbing jargon - Wobbler


Original Post
MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710

I submit this question to the collective wisdom of MP...climbing has it's fair share of jargon, and after a few years you tend to think you have a good grasp of it. This one has stumped me - Wobbler - What?

Context: I heard this term in an old Training Beta Podcast when Justin Sjong was the guest. They discuss "tossing a wobbler", "having a wobbler" etc. Other than that there wasn't a lot of contextual clues - except that it all related to having a bad day on a route? Or maybe not giving 100% effort?

Most of my attempted explanations have already taken a scatological turn...so I'm sure it can only get better from here. However, it would be great to get a clear answer from the N. American climbing community, as I've never heard this parlance used before.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,018

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Throw%20a%20wobbler

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

I hear a whirler is the pre-wobbler wind-up!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230

A wobbler is when a climber loses their damn mind...Aka throwing a tantrum. Bitd when a buddy was starting to lose it we would stand erect with our hands at our sides and start to make a wobble motion. Lol!

MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710

Ah. So not a climbing term at all.

Is it widely used/known? I haven't lived in the USA for awhile and had never heard of it.

MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710
Tradoholic wrote:A wobbler is when a climber loses their damn mind.
So Ondra is a professional wobble tosser?
Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 11,318

https://vimeo.com/17904026#t=295s

Warning, lower the sound of your speakers before playing video ^

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
MClay wrote:Ah. So not a climbing term at all. Is it widely used/known? I haven't lived in the USA for awhile and had never heard of it.
That's because it's basically a British/Australian term, not US.
idioms.thefreedictionary.co…
Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 110

wobble tosser. im bringin it back. ive seen a few wobblers at my local crag. great phrase really.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,230
MClay wrote: So Ondra is a professional wobble tosser?
Exactly.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Marc801 wrote: That's because it's basically a British/Australian term, not US. idioms.thefreedictionary.co…
I think the first time I heard it was Derek Hersey in Front Range Freaks.
Keith W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80
Scott McMahon wrote: I think the first time I heard it was Derek Hersey in Front Range Freaks.
"Shake, rattle, and roll as they say. If you start shakin you'll be a right wobbler" - Hersey
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Keith W wrote: "Shake, rattle, and roll as they say. If you start shakin you'll be a right wobbler" - Hersey
haha that's it. I tried to find the quote with no luck so thanks!!
Keith W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80
Scott McMahon wrote: haha that's it. I tried to find the quote with no luck so thanks!!
Yessir.

Dereks part in that movie is awesome. Great tribute to such a rad dude.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply