Spain Climbing June

Original Post
Nina Nichols · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Found a great flight to Spain in June- Hoping to climb in northern spain//south of france. Any recommendations for places that wont be too hot? Looking for people to climb with!

Luna Luna · · New Haven, CT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 55

pm'ed ya

Mischa Tourin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I highly recommend Catalunya. There's a climber's eco-refugio there called Climb Catalunya that is paradise. 

Phil Tomlinson · · Calgary, Alberta · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I spent a couple of weeks in The Picos de Europa region and it was incredible limestone multi pitch climbing in temperatures I could handle (and I hate the heat). Can't recommend it enough as a destination - was even pretty peaceful. 

duncan... · · London, UK · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 25

Catalunya will be pretty warm in June. I was in Siurana and Margalef for Easter and it was getting almost too hot for comfort. There are shady sectors at both those areas and with an early/late start it would be bearable but not ideal. I climbed at Abella (Climb Catalunya's base) in late February and it was  pretty warm then, I imagine it would be very hot in June. 

Picos de Europa, as above, is a good suggestion. Naranjo de Bulnes is a world-class venue for multipitch 5.8-5.14. Lots of material online but you'll need to look beyond MP. Some logistic beta here. I've only been in August, I'd check the snow state in June. Hut webcam here.  

The areas around the Picos, covered in the Roca Verde guidebook, has some decent single-pitch sport climbing at good temperatures in the Summer. I’ve even seen French climbers at Rumenes, so it must be good!

Rabada-Navarro, Naranjo de Bulnes. ~20 pitches; 5.11, or 5.10 with a couple of points of aid.

(how do you resize photos?)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply