Mountain Project Logo

HCR wet weather

Original Post
Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Leaving tomm be there till Friday. Says it's gonna storm some days. Has anyone climbed after it quits raining an did it make classic fun lines like green goblin,man servant, etc much harder to climb. I know about the goat cave for while raining if my tendons will allow it. Just hoping that we can still climb even if it gets a little wet. Never thought I would care so much about the weather and stalk it daily until I found climbing. Oh well. Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers!

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Following up on the OP and expanding it a bit beyond HCR. Do any of the nearby--or relatively nearby, Arkansas crags have any "all weather climbing" sections--especially ones with routes in the 5.8-10 range? A group of us are heading to HCR for a brief visit in a week and are interested in possible options if the weather doesn't cooperate. Thanks. Alan

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

If the sun comes out it could dry by mid morning or lunch.

rozaosa · · Mordor · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

I'm heading out there tomorrow. Any updates? Weather looks great.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks, I guess because I'm a New Englander, I worry that the sun might not come out for the entire time (5 days) that we will be there, so would like to know if there are any options if this comes to pass.

CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

As said above, if the sun is out the North 40 dries up pretty quick...for the most part. Climbs like Green Goblin that are right by a drainage, or any of the trad cracks, tend to stay wet a bit longer. If it isn't raining too hard you can usually find some dry overhung routes on the east side, like on Magoo Rock.

Brendan Chura · · Sacramento CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

On the way down now despite the rain. Might head out to dry areaskin around Sam's throne. Anyone got beta for some dry areas?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply