Mountain Project Logo

Route climbing at Big Rock

Original Post
Jackson Moody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I was just looking for a little information about the route climbing at Big Rock in SC.

I'm not asking for anyone to divulge information from the guidebook.

Rather, I am asking these questions to decide wether or not I want to buy the guidebook and go climb there

In terms of bolted climbing, are there any sport bolted routes? or is it mostly really runout slab bolting?

Are there any moderate trad climbs that take good gear?

Thanks!

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Yes and yes. Good moderate bolted routes and trad ones as well. You do need to be comfortable on slab, but the routes are not run out. Also pretty easy to set up top ropes on many routes if you prefer.

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,285

I don't like to really call them sport routes because many protect better with an extra cam here and there between bolts...so "slightly mixed" might be a better description of many of the routes ;) Most of the time, the first ascenders didn't bolt near a crack or obvious placement, so carry a light rack if you want to feel extra secure on many of the bolted routes. A standard Carolina trad track will suffice for the trad routes and as Brian mentioned, many of the routes are easy to set up on top rope if you want to go for convenience and less to pack in.

Jackson Moody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Thank you both for the reply! I don't know if I'll get a chance to come down before it gets pretty warm, but maybe I'll check it out this summer, and if not I will come fall.

From the video it looks awesome, and it's good to hear that there are some more accessible routes there too.

Brad Caldwell · · Deep in the Jocassee Gorges · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,285

Summer is not a good time to check out Big Rock because of the heat and rattlesnakes...if you can't make it before it gets too warm, wait until fall so you'll enjoy it better :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply