Mountain Project Logo

Housing Wanted- UC Santa Barbara climbers/postgrads

Original Post
Sean Maher · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1,255

Hi All,

I'll be starting a PhD in geophysics at UCSB in September 2017 and moving to Santa Barbara for the first time, so I'm looking for a single room in a house of climbers and/or postgrads. I'm clean and quiet and pay my rent! I'll be looking to go climbing locally (trad, bouldering, sport) and further afield (so many great places in Cali!) whenever I can, so I'm posting here to find similarly-minded housemates/partners.

Does anyone have a room opening up in August/September or know a good way to find one? I've been advised to avoid Isla Vista so I suppose I'm looking for a place in Goleta area or something like that. I'm not in Cali at the moment and won't be able to meet anyone/see houses until August or September, but I am happy to Skype if you want to chat about a serious offer.

Sorry for the non-climbing-related spam. Any offers would be appreciated!

-Sean

Stephen D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

There is a UCSB housing facebook buy/sell group that is the best way for finding housing around here. Definitely better than craigslist etc.

For what it's worth, I'm not into the Isla Vista scene but I live here because I like being able to walk to school in five minutes (or bike in two). It's not so hard to avoid all the nonsense around here, and it's not as bad as its reputation would suggest -- that reputation was largely earned when there were far fewer police here... That being said, the round-the-clock (3 am on a wednesday? really? 10 am on a wednesday? really) beer pong games at your neighbors house do get quite annoying. But I digress.

I can't offer you much but if you ever need a couch to crash on for a night when you visit feel free to pm me. Or if you want to go climbing around here!

Stephen Troxel · · Coeur d' Alene, Idaho · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 250

Hi Sean,

I'm looking at possibly attending UCSB this Fall. I won't know for sure until the 15th of April, but if accept I would be very interested in housing options! 

Lemme know if you're interested. Cheers!

-Stephen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply