Mountain Project Logo

Favorite Robbins Routes

Original Post
Xan Calonne · · Joshua Tree, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 35

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2957481/Your-favorite-Royal-Robbins-route

Idea unabashedly foisted from ST thread above (thanks drljefe), but I thought it would be nice to hear from the MP community on this one. So...

What are your favorite Robbins routes?!

My list:

Open Book, Tahquitz. Obvious historical significance. Personally, this felt like a breakthrough into 'real' multipitch, traditional climbing.

The Vampire, Tahquitz. If Open Book was my first breakthrough, The Vampire represents the next. Sustained, exposed, beautiful. Feels a lot bigger than its three pitches.

The Buissonier, Joshua Tree. I found out on this route that I could not, in fact, climb 5.7; still intimidating...

mike c · · golden · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,015

Athletes feat at castlerock in boulder canyon!!

JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 960
Robbins Crack at Woodson, it was one of my few and only 5.10 leads, so I'm proud of it even though others still just "boulder" it.

Cannot neglect Nutcracker (YV), of course.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Whodunit - what a great route.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

The Right Ski track at Josh. From the ground.....

1954.... on site free solo, in Mountain Boots....

Every time I do that one (with a cord) I am amazed.

Xan Calonne · · Joshua Tree, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 35

I had forgotten whodunit was one of his. Classic!

Guy, that's ballistic. I climbed the lower a couple weeks ago and was thinking about how poor the feet are...in rock shoes!

Rich Brereton · · Pownal, ME · Joined May 2009 · Points: 140
Guy Keesee wrote:The Right Ski track at Josh. From the ground..... 1954.... on site free solo, in Mountain Boots.... Every time I do that one (with a cord) I am amazed.
Really? That thing is 5.10c! Why doesn't the route entry on MP list him as the FA?

Salathe Wall
Kevin MP · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 203

Favorite that I have done (of course there are probably other's I didn't even know were Robbins routes):

Fantasia at Lover's Leap. Very bold.

All of the best ones I have yet to do. Bucket list: RNWF Half Dome

RIP Royal a pioneer and visionary

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply