Style Month- Salute to Royal Robbins month

Original Post
Greg D · Mar 14, 2017 · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 511
Sad news. According to a Supertopo thread, Royal has passed away.

To celebrate his life and his amazing contributions to the climbing community it would be great to do some climbs with him in mind, that is, the utmost style you can muster.

For me, that would be a climb I know nothing about, no beta, no info whatsoever. Head up and do my best. Absolutely no takes, no grabbing gear, which I despise anyway. Do everything I can to leave no trace, no visible chalk, no loud shouting to my partner, no trace that I was there.

What would your Royal Robbins inspired climb be? And, if you do one, please post up.

A tribute to this man is definitely in order.

Pete Spri · Mar 14, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 115
I like this idea! If I can beat the snow, I am going to do my best to get on some rock and do a line with no info and go for it! Will do my best to report back with a pic or two.

Jose Gutierrez · Mar 15, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Repeat the nutcracker this spring with only passive gear.

cjdrover · Mar 15, 2017 · Watertown, MA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 240
Well, this is a bit of a retroactive tribute, but I was certainly thinking about this climb yesterday when I heard Royal passed. I was fortunate to get the chance to climb Fantasia last fall, leading all three pitches. I psyched myself up in the days leading up to it by reading Royal's 2006 Alpinist article two or three (ok, eight) times:

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP17/ascent-robbins

I never met Royal, but by the time I reached the top of Fantasia, it felt like I knew him.

RIP Royal Robbins.

Tim Lutz · Mar 15, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0
I'm wearing all Royal Robbins clothes today!!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply