Mountain Project Logo

Concussions and Climbing

Original Post
Kaihaku · · Kaneohe, Hawaii · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

So I am new to rock climbing and Gym, but I have been doing tree climbing and little bit of bouldering for a while.

A while back I gave myself a gnarly concussion and some whiplash to boot. I am trying to improve my climbing in at least one area over the next couple of months, but my doctor reccommends not doing any highly intensive exercise or anything that would subject me to impact.

I still can do and do easy stuff but nothing that really pushes me.

Any suggestions on how to better my climbing while recovering or what area's to focus on?

Any info appreciated.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Top-rope climbing with a tight belay is about the safest from any sort of repeat-impact you're going to get while climbing. Probably good to wear a helmet, too.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I know someone who got in a car accident with a non trivial brain injury. I think he was bouldering v9-10 during the rehab. He told me it was about the only thing he could consistently focus on.

Kaihaku · · Kaneohe, Hawaii · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:I know someone who got in a car accident with a non trivial brain injury. I think he was bouldering v9-10 during the rehab. He told me it was about the only thing he could consistently focus on.
Interesting, and this wasn't an issue for his back/neck?
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
David Gibbs wrote:Top-rope climbing with a tight belay is about the safest from any sort of repeat-impact you're going to get while climbing. Probably good to where a helmet, too.
This, except you should "wear" a helmet. :)
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6
FrankPS wrote: This, except you should "wear" a helmet. :)
Fixed. Apparently I should proofread, too. :)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply