DRCC Detroit Rock Climbing Company. what is going on?

Original Post
isolationist · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Bought holds from them online back in December. They charged me, didn't ship anything, don't respond to e-mails, and their phone number does not work. I see from their Facebook reviews that multiple other people have had the same problem. Anybody know what is going on?

Anybody?

JD Borgeson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,045

no clue. I ordered a hangboard from them a couple of years ago and everything went fine. wish I could help.

Tako Chimp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

You could try their gym facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Planet-Rock-Climbing-Gym-96518785223/

I climb there. They just finished an expansion project at one of their gyms in Dec 2016, maybe that's been their focus for a while. It's open for climbing, but still about 90% percent complete. They aren't exactly the most organized group of people.

Hey Tako.  Yeah, I tried contacting the gym too.  Related people, but not the same people anymore, (Nick Cocciolone for Planet Rock vs Vincent Cocciolone for the hold company DRCC, as I understand it).  The gym didn't get back to me either when I e-mailed them to ask what was up.

Of all the people you don't expect to be scammed by over the internet.

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Just took a look at DRCC facebook page and several other people have similar complaints. Phone number still no good. I don't really know either of them, but I do occasionally see Nick in the gym. Next time I see him I will ask him about DRCC though. Going to the gym tonight, I'll try asking some different people to see what I can find out.

Checked with a few people there last night, no one really knew anything.

A quick google search turned up this though:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vcocciolone/videos?view=0&shelf_id=0&sort=dd

Guess he's spending more time making youtube music videos than running DRCC.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

As far as I'm aware, DRCC closed up shop in late 2016. 

Tako Chimp wrote:

Checked with a few people there last night, no one really knew anything.

A quick google search turned up this though:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vcocciolone/videos?view=0&shelf_id=0&sort=dd

Guess he's spending more time making youtube music videos than running DRCC.

Argh.  Well, that is not what I was hoping to find out.  What an &*^%$#$.

Gabrielle DeVilla · · California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I am having the same issues contacting this company as well. I'm very displeased.   

Gabrielle DeVilla wrote:

I am having the same issues contacting this company as well. I'm very displeased.   

Did you order recently?  If via credit card, contact them ASAP to get your money back.

Gabrielle DeVilla · · California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi. I placed the order on February 18th. I emailed them 3 times with no response, and called their disconnected number. I even sent the owner a personal message on FB with no response. I contacted Planet Rock to see if they knew of anything. I reported DRCC to the Better Business Bureau and contacted Shopify (the service they use to process orders) to red flag them. I've done everything in my power to shut them down and make sure no one else goes through this. I will be calling my bank or VISA today to demand my refund. I'm pretty disappointed because I really like their v5.12 hangboard. I wish the owner was more professional and forthcoming.

sherb · · Loveland, Ohio & Wheat Ridg... · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

This is sad because they must be having problems.  A couple years ago I ordered a hangboard from them and received fast, no problems.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Huh? I think it's sad for people who ordered stuff and never received their products. 

sherb · · Loveland, Ohio & Wheat Ridg... · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Well of course, but just call your credit card company and the charge will be reversed (at no cost to you, investigation paid for by the seller as a fee). That they are not able to ship these products is a sign they are going bankrupt and out of business, with their entire livelihood in danger.

I know it sucks to be ripped off  - just last week I got pickpocketed by a guy on a plane to Denver of my federal badge (disconnected from lanyard in security pocket) and wallet (in larger pocket) of $200, credit cards, bank cards, atty reg id-he mercifully left my driver's license. Defn felt violated because he went thru 2 backpack pockets, has my IDs, and also I had no money or credit cards for transportation.

In this case, people can get their money refunded and go on with their life. But I'm thinking the DRCC's owner's business and financial life is in trouble.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply