WFR Anyone Take It through Wilderness Medical Associates??

Original Post
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Taking my WFR this coming weekend into next week and was wondering if anyone else has gone through Wilderness Medical Associates? How was it, how were the instructors, etc?

Thanks

hikingdrew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15

I've done WFA with John Jacobs, he's good..

Anyone else?

Nathan Hui · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I've taken my WFR with Josh Jackson (WMA/WildLeads) and Faye Johnson (WMA). They're both excellent, with quite a bit of experience in SAR/Ski Patrol. The sims are rigorous, but worth it. The experienced instructors are very good at what they do. Give the assistant/trainee instructors if one is there a bit of slack - they're there to learn just as much as teach, but they often bring a nice perspective to the class.

Some instructors are a bit more, shall we say, evil, that others, in what they put in their sims. It depends on their background and what they view as potential situations to prove/emphasize certain points. They do try to make the sims as realistic as possible, given the resources on hand. I really like that, and the debriefs they did after each sim.

Be aware that the WMA protocols are slightly different than the NOLS protocols.

Nathan Hui wrote: Be aware that the WMA protocols are slightly different than the NOLS protocols.
In what regards?
edennis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

I did WRF with WMA and it was amazing. Very professional and thorough. I would highly recommend them.

Nathan Hui · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
JasonSH wrote: In what regards?
Sorry, not the protocols - those are essentially the same (wording in the official things is probably different). At one point, I thought that NOLS had a different spine protocol than WMA, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Some of the acronyms used in the Patient Assessment System are different, and I think at one point some things were taught differently, but looking at the NOLS minimum WFR guidelines, it should be essentially the same.

Keep in mind that a WFR taught by two different instructors from the same company will also differ slightly in their emphasis of certain subjects over others, and that the curriculum for the WFR is constantly changing.

Irregardless of which provider you get your WFR from, you should have the basic set of skills as outlined here: wfr-sop.org/wfr-sop
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply