Dirtbag cascade trip

Original Post
Mounir Fizari · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 130

I'm planning on dirtbagging a trip to climb Adams, Baker, Hood, Glacier, and Rainier this summer. Do you guys think it will be better to find a climbing partner(s) for each individual peak or someone to come on the road with me? I was hoping to get the climbs done in 2 weeks.

TaylorLutz · · Seattle · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65

that will be a lot of climbing in 2 weeks. Its certainly doable but itd be a challenge finding a partner(s) for all of those. Hood, Adams and Glacier could conceivably be soloed and finding partners for rainier and/or baker during the summer months usually isn't too difficult. cascadeclimbers and climbing facebook groups for seattle and the greater area can be useful resources. just be careful with who you decide to rope up with, seems like more people overstate their experience/skills when it comes to rainier than any other mountain in the range

Sandy The adventurer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 30

I have done Hood but would like to do 2nd summit. Interested in Adams. Need to take crevasse rescue course to do Rainier. Signed up for a educational guided trip to Mt. Baker in Jul. Let me know if you need partner for Hood and Adams.

Thank you both for the replies. I'm considering splitting up the trip as Fri-Sun weekend climbs to find partners more easily.

Thanks Sandy, I'll let you know

Kasey McGrady · · East Greenbush, NY · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 75

I am also looking for a partner for the same peaks at the end of May/June. I would like to tick off Shuksan, North Face, Baker/ North Ridge, Glacier, Mt. Rainier /Liberty Ridge and Adams/ Adams Glacier......nerver been on Hood but Im game....let me know I would be able to get away for 2 weeks.......Planing a trip to Aconcagua/ Polish Direct in January '18

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 266

If you are fine soloing, Adams and Hood are very doable on your own. Also, there are enough people on Hood during the season that you could reasonably find somebody in the parking lot at 1am or on the route to join up with.

You'll need a partner to safely climb any route on Baker and Rainier. Finding a Rainier and/or Baker partner is super easy on MP. Especially if you are fine doing a standard route with a newer climber.

Glacier - I dunno. I've never climbed it and don't really intend to! The access sucks and the route doesn't look super cool haha. A cooler alternative would be Shuksan if you are already at Baker. St Helens is very cool as well and pretty close to Rainier driving wise, although it is a significantly easier climb than the rest.

Goat Slayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

When exactly you thinking about dirtbagging these?

Early july?

Allen Hart wrote:When exactly you thinking about dirtbagging these? Early july?
Probably around then. I'm starting temp work in April. I'll have to quit before the trip so I need to work enough to save for this trip & a month long tour of the Rockies I'm doing right after. So I might end up doing Adams, Hood, Rainier, and Baker as weekend trips while working. I will be more sure of the timeline when I find out more about the job in April
Goat Slayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Oh snap. Perfect. I'm doing a tour of the Rockies in June. Looking at my calendar, I actually get back July 18 and would be available in late July for some mountain conquering.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply