Double rack of c3s or...?

Original Post
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

Should I double up c3s or complement them with some other type of small cams? Does anything complement them well?

Mitch Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

It depends on where you plan on using them the most, given the three lobe of the C3 and the stem. Small gear seems to be constantly up for debate, and it also depends on personal preference and price. I think everyone would agree if you have the money to get totem basics. After that, its all a wash. I like small metolius cams but some people love aliens and others swear by X4s.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

I definitely wouldnt double up on the C3s. They're neat in certain situations, but they're probably the most limited small cams on the market.

I'd pick up a single stem small cam- either the X4 or Totem Basics would probably be most peoples top choices.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 40

I agree with John (which is to say don't double up on c3's), but I don't think I'd call the C3's "most limited." Their narrow head width means they fit where most of the other options don't, so in at least one sense they are "least limited."

To some extent, it depends on how featured the rock is you climb. The more the cracks tend to be uniform, the fewer advantages C3's confer, because the narrow head width confers no advantage.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

There are few places where a double rack of C3s would be helpful, or even a single rack for that matter. Although I have a few for special situations, 4cam units like X4s, Totems, Mastercams etc tend to place much better and are more useful IMO.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,875

Small placements are especially finicky (and rightly so), and I can't think of any reason to get doubles of the same cam. A different brand offers a different shape or micro-size that could result in an improved placement.

Logan Schiff · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 45

Agree with the others (many of whom are much more qualified to comment) that you are likely better off with a four lobe cam as a double.

I have a double rack of C3s mostly for climbing in the Gunks that my partners often complain about. After holding off on purchasing the X4s when they came out, I am starting to come around to the merits and in many cases superiority of four lobe cams, which seem like a more solid placement in many cases.

I am starting to acquire a set of totem basics and have been very pleased. I intend to make them my primary small cam with C3s as a double/for super tiny placements.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,425

FYI. BD made a lot of C3s before they closed down their facility in China, and did not bring that manufacturing line with them. Once they are gone, they are gone. Thus, inventory will run out someday, so buy them now if you want them.

Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 271
jon jugenheimer wrote:... Once they are gone, they are gone. Thus, inventory will run out someday, so buy them now if you want them.
It's hard to imagine a company like BD dumping a product altogether after investing in R&D, marketing, etc unless the product was majorly unpopular or unsafe.

Maybe they had plenty in stock and are optimizing a new production line?

Or are you just trying to drum up orders? :P
NegativeK · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Systematic wrote: It's hard to imagine a company like BD dumping a product altogether after investing in R&D, marketing, etc unless the product was majorly unpopular or unsafe.
When was the C3 model released? Perhaps BD considers the X4s to be a sufficient upgrade/replacement to not miss out on sales.
Chase Bowman · · Baton Rouge/Durango · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 400

aliens.. buy aliens.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,425

Systematic, not trying to drum up orders, and have zero motive behind my comment other than letting people know.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 930
rgold wrote:I agree with John (which is to say don't double up on c3's), but I don't think I'd call the C3's "most limited." Their narrow head width means they fit where most of the other options don't, so in at least one sense they are "least limited." ...
yeah, maybe theoretically speaking, but in reality i definitely agree with john wilder. i only bring these on routes where i need to add to my trick bag.

i would go with the totem basics, but i haven't used the X4's much so i can't compare.
Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438
slim wrote: i would go with the totem basics, but i haven't used the X4's much so i can't compare.
I've used both. X4s are considerably heavier, worse trigger action, but a nicer radius where your thumb presses (never noticed a difference actually leading). I'd go with basics.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45
Chase Bowman wrote:aliens.. buy aliens.
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

Well, I got the double c3s in red yellow and green- I'm probably going to put a set on the "for sale" section and get some basics down the line. HMU if interested.

Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 271
NegativeK wrote: When was the C3 model released? Perhaps BD considers the X4s to be a sufficient upgrade/replacement to not miss out on sales.
Patent filed in December 2004, expires 2025.
Abram Herman · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

I love me some C3s, but I wouldn't double up on them. I'm a big fan of some offsets to complement the C3s. My preference would be for offset Mastercams over X4s, but either would make a nice complement to C3s.

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 13

I really like my C3s, and have no wish to double them. If you're climbing highly featured rock, or in an area with lots of pin scars offsets (in preferred-alien-knockoff)might be a good option, if the cracks are more uniform just standard preferred-alien-knockoff would do the job nicely.

rozaosa · · Mordor · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Totem basics!! They've got a pretty good range. I too was considering getting C3's but changed my mind when I looked up the range. I'd go for mastercams, x4's or the totem basics (these are pretty much newer versions of the aliens).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply