LCC and Echo Canyon climbing conditions

Original Post
Aaron Rotchadl · · Park City, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

Anyone know if the Dry Wall at Echo canyon is dry right now? Also how about the rock/approaches in lower LCC? I might have a half day off tomorrow and was wondering if it's worth checking out either place. Any info is greatly appreciated!

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 245

Most everything looks dry from the Gate down to Bongeater in LCC. Heading up to Lizard Head in about an hour or so so I'll follow up after climbing but I'd say you'll be good with the next several days forecasting warm sunny weather in LCC.

Awesome, Thanks BC! Didn't make it out today but I'd let me know how it goes for ya!

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

All climbing areas at Echo are currently under seasonal closure. Yes, the Dry Wall too. Please honor this. Local climbers are being pretty lame about this the last few years.

This message is on the main Echo page from the Access Fund:
"The Echo Canyon climbing areas are located within the Henefer-Echo Wildlife Management Area. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources closes all access to the WMA each year from January 1 to the second Saturday in April to protect wintering wildlife."

Photo: mountainproject.com/v/11027...

Thanks for the friendly heads up, LL2. I'll certainly honor the closure!

Right on. Not long to wait for the goods!

Lower LCC is fantastic right now. Only wet in the obvious places and great friction everywhere from Black Peeler down to Bongeater. The Pawn was still full of snow in fact the first pitch was completely buried so it might take a few more weeks to hit some of the higher elevation stuff. Here's a look at the first/second pitch of En Passant.

P 1/2 of En Passant. P1 is completely buried.

I've not heard of En Passant. ?

LL2 wrote:I've not heard of En Passant. ?
It's a chess move where when your opponent makes a double square move with their pawn's first move you can take the pawn with a by crossing diagonally behind their pawn. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_pa...

But for climbing purposes:

It's in the Granite Guide. 5.9 750' mixed singles to 3

Thank you sir. I'm a little out of the loop these days, is Granite Guide the title? And by which author? Thanks.

Charlie S · · Ogden, UT · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 1,471

http://www.pullpublishing.com/books-1/a-granite-guide

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply