Avulsion fracture recovery

Original Post
John Tex · · Estes · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

I have an avulsion fracture in the last digit of my middle finger. Doctor says it will probably be deformed for good. Anyone have any experience with a recovery from this? Some stuff I've read says flexing the last digit might now be difficult which is obviously problematic.

An avulsion fracture as described to me by the doc is where the extensor tendon, the one on the back of the finger, pulls away from the bone but instead of simply rupturing away from the bone it pulls a little piece of the bone off with it. It happened when the last digit hyper-flexed.

My bone set correctly and is healing, just curious if anyone has had trouble with one before.

claty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

I had an avulsion fracture about 3 years ago in my middle (long) finger on my left hand. Kept climbing ofor about 2 years until it hurt too much and had surgery. The surgery was very simple and straightforward, but I was out for 12 weeks while everything healed. It's been about 6 months since surgery now and everything feels as good as new. I did about 3 weeks of OT/hand therapy and was climbing easy 12s about 4 months post surgery. Took a bit longer to feel good on thin cracks, since my surgeon had to remove my voler plate and collateral ligament to access the fx.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

Another thread on the same or similar issue:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/mallet-finger-say-what/106384777

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 528

I'm currently healing from this. I'll post an update on the other thread.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply