Mountain Project Logo

first time climbing in Arizona advice

Original Post
RWPT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Hey peeps, trying to get some climbing in during a family holiday. I'm flying into PHX April 8 and the family comes down on the 14th.

During the time on my own I'm hoping to get some climbing in. However, because of luggage limitation, I can only bring personal climbing gear. And to add, 8 years ago I used to lead 5.9/low 10s trad but with the family, climbing has been very limited so you can say I'm very rusty and I'm just hoping to second or top-rope some climbs.

So my questions so far:
Anyone around willing to climb with me? :)
What areas should I check out?
If I cant' find a partner online, what areas should I go that would give me a better chance to get a partner?
Where are the better campspots?
Anyone have a favourite reasonably price hotel/motel in Sedona/Flagstaff and Phoenix when my family comes?

I know there's alot of research I can do on the net but it's getting close to the dates I'm leaving, plane tickets are going up and I'm trying to get some advice as fast as possible so I don't lose out on the chance of being away from the family for a few days !!! :)

thanks,
Raphael

Phil Sakievich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 105

I'll be prepping for my dissertation defense on the 14th during this time so I can't take you out, but I can sympathize. I'm in a similar situation. A reasonably priced hotel in Tempe is the Graduate. I think it's about $100 a night for a room and it's located very near the PHX airport.

There are two Facebook pages you can also try for soliciting partners. Phoenix climbing scene and Phoenix trad climbers. Good luck!

RWPT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Ok thanks!

Good luck on your discerntation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply