colored biners for racking

Original Post
Peter D Daniels · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 3

Seems like a lot of companies are only selling "rack packs" for colored biners for racking. Any idea, besides revenue, why they are doing that? I'd love to just buy a single purple Oz biner etc.

Nick Young · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

I'm pretty sure BD sells individual Biners and you can choose colors, could be wrong though.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,658

It is possible to purchase single colored carabiners. Check out gearexpress.com. The rack packs make sense if you need the full set.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438

Less labor for both manufacturer and retailed to stock the packs. Camp includes an encyclopedia with every biner, when I purchased a lot of single nanos for racking I swear the box weighed 50lbs.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Rack packs match the colors for cams so that you can match them for...WAIT FOR IT...racking them. All colors are also sold separately.

Jack C. · · Idaho · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 175

Hah, I think the OP knows what racking 'biners are for, Ted.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Most retailers don't sell individual colors of BD racking biners. I feel like I've seen them at REI, but can't find them anywhere online.

DMM, Camp, and Trango racking biners are widely sold in individual colors though.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

http://www.gearexpress.com/black-diamond-oz-carabiner.html
https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-oz-carabiner

RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0

Look at all those individual 'biners and the colors they come in. Neutrino Rack pack broken down and sold individually. BD Neutrino Sold individually
Trango Phase Individual Biners

ScottJM · · Montana · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote:http://www.gearexpress.com/black-diamond-oz-carabiner.html backcountry.com/black-diamo...
Orange, Black and Silver only.
PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

The bass pro here in Tulsa sells neutrinos individually in like 6ish different colors? If there is a bass pro near you may be worth it to check it out

Brad Stewart · · ATL · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

REI, Backcountry

DaveBaker · · Durham, NC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 8
ScottJM wrote: Orange, Black and Silver only.
From what I've observed, the stores start to sell out of certain singles when the higher percentage sales happen. Wait a while for restocking and all the colours will be available again.
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0
DaveBaker wrote: From what I've observed, the stores start to sell out of certain singles when the higher percentage sales happen. Wait a while for restocking and all the colours will be available again.
I have yet to see ANY retailer sell the Black Diamond Oz Hoodwire in individual colours other than black, orange, and polished.

Even the Black Diamond prodeal only offers the rackpack or black, orange, and polished!
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5
Patrick Mason wrote:The bass pro here in Tulsa sells neutrinos individually in like 6ish different colors? If there is a bass pro near you may be worth it to check it out
Bass Pro Shop sells biners/climbing gear?
Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438
Khoi wrote: I have yet to see ANY retailer sell the Black Diamond Oz Hoodwire in individual colours other than black, orange, and polished. Even the Black Diamond prodeal only offers the rackpack or black, orange, and polished!
I can confirm that the same is for a dealer's order catalog. OZ and hoodwire are only in those three colors as individual. Any shop selling those biners in other colors individually must be splitting up rackpacks.

Interesting enough the heavy hotwires and nose snagging pos neutrino are available for individual order in colors.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575

The solution is to get all biners the same color

DaveBaker · · Durham, NC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 8
john strand wrote:The solution is to get all biners the same color
Also known as: only climb at Indian Creek.

On topic: thanks for the info, I didn't know oz singles were different to the others that I've bought.
Chris Charron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Or you could just be colorblind, then it doesn't matter.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I wouldn't go as far as saying they sell climbing gear, but they have a small selection of black diamond carabiners (neutrinos, Hotwire, and locking positron) in the camping section near hammocks

Peter D Daniels · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 3

Thx all. I should have been more clear. I'm specifically looking for BD Oz (#1) or Hoodwire (#2) individual colored biners. I don't need a set of 6. Just one or two here and there. I am aware that I can find Neutrinos in single colors. I don't like the way they can snag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply