Climbing in Namibia

Original Post
Oren · · Bronx, NY · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Hey y'all,

Work is sending me to Namibia for 3 weeks (and probably several times as follow-up in the future), and I'm going to miss climbing if I can't do any out there. Windhoek, where I'll be based, has developed sport and trad climbing around it, and while I don't have the space to bring my rack, I can fit in a pair of shoes and a harness and helmet.

Does anyone know of any climbing clubs or people living in Namibia that might know how to go about climbing out there? Or even if there's a climbing gym I can at least enjoy the plastic of? I may have evenings to go, and definitely weekends.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated (as for timing, I arrive in Windhoek this upcoming Saturday).

Thanks,
Oren

DaveBaker · · Durham, NC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 88

You want to also look at climbing at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitz.... I've not been but a climbing partner of mine has many times.

He drives up from SA, where en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount... is probably who you start talking to for more local information. If no-one else has anything more local, it might be a place to start.

Thanks Dave, I'll reach out today.

rpc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 575

In addition to the famous Spitzkoppe (by the way, you can get a nice guidebook for it from most S. African climbing shops - most will ship to US), we also got a chance to repeat Majka Burhardt & co's Southern Crossing route on Orabeskopf back in 2013. A beautiful pure trad line & a very cool, remote setting. Here's Majka's beta: planetmountain.com/english/...;lang=eng&id_tipologia=38

& you can check out our site for the more "average joe" trip. Great country - safe, easy to get around (excellent infrastructure) & rich with culture & scenery.

Thanks for the advice y'all; I've hooked up with some amazing folks out here using your suggestions, and we've been climbing outdoors every weekend on two trips out here so far. I couldn't be happier.

Much appreciated!!!

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,525

As an FYI, Namibia is a big tourist destination for germans (used to be a German colony) so you may try to google resources in German (and then use google translate) such as "klettern Namibia" Here are the first results I found

http://www.spitzkoppe.eu/index.shtml (also in english)

https://www.bergfreunde.de/basislager/crazy-germans-in-afrika-kletter-erkundungsreise-durch-namibia/

http://bergsteiger.de/touren/klettern/klettern-den-roten-huegeln-afrikas

https://www.bergwelten.com/lp/spitzkoppe-klettern-in-der-wueste-namibias

MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710

Just talked to a buddy today who was there a few weeks ago. His main advice was make sure you have partners lined up before you go. It is an amazing place, but very remote. If it isn't a holiday or peak season you might end up alone in the Namib Desert. 

FYI (if it isn't covered elsewhere) Windhoek is at least 3 hours away.

We are planning a trip for next year, so would be keen to hear how it works out.

Hey y'all,

Work is sending me to Cote d'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast) for 3 weeks (and probably several times as follow-up in the future), and once again, I'm going to miss climbing if I can't do any out there. I don't know if there's any developed in CI; I'll be based in Abidjan, and again, while I don't have the space to bring my rack, I can fit in a pair of shoes and a harness and helmet.

Y'all were amazing with putting me in contact with climbing in Namibia, and I've done some amazing climbing out there thanks to y'all, and I'd love to repeat it in CI. Does anyone know of any climbing clubs or people living in Cote d'Ivoire that might know how to go about climbing out there? Or even if there's a climbing gym I can at least enjoy the plastic of? I may have evenings to go, and definitely weekends.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated (as for timing, I arrive in Abidjan this upcoming Saturday and leave to come back stateside June 16th).

Thanks,

Oren

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply