New Climbing Blog made by a casual climber for the casual climbing community.

Original Post
Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 33

I made a new climbing blog for trip reports, workouts and anything else outdoor related. I am open to posting various trip reports or anything made from the community!

The idea behind my website is to promote the fun of climbing by sharing experiences and stories from people who just climb for fun. Its not about what grade you climb, its about how hard you climbed.

http://www.ascentclimb.com/

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 655

Congrats, but isn't that what Mountain project and Cascade climbers already do?

Alec Sluser wrote:I made a new climbing blog for trip reports, workouts and anything else outdoor related. I am open to posting various trip reports or anything made from the community! The idea behind my website is to promote the fun of climbing by sharing experiences and stories from people who just climb for fun. Its not about what grade you climb, its about how hard you climbed. ascentclimb.com/

Im trying to establish more of a blog type website. Mostly containing trip reports that are meant to motivate you. Personally, reading about a weekend warrior going out climbing motivates me more than reading about Ondra sending his new 5.15 project. Im hoping to push more people outside (safely) and give them the motivation they need to do so.

Rima Austin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I want to be a climber but the only experience I have had with it is two days at the Exum climbing school in Jackson Hole. I don't know any terms, what gear to buy for beginners or even what diet to be on to get myself in top form for it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could go to find this information?

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 230
Rima Austin wrote:I want to be a climber but the only experience I have had with it is two days at the Exum climbing school in Jackson Hole. I don't know any terms, what gear to buy for beginners or even what diet to be on to get myself in top form for it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could go to find this information?
Go to a climbing gym and find someone to go climb with. Buy shoes, harness, and belay device only. Learn from the experienced climber before you spend any money on anything else.
Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 70

The trip reports section of that other climbing forum may provide the stoke you are looking for.

Good luck though -- Aloha Patrol is sweet!

Im hoping I can compile a library of trip reports and just average stories that are all in one location making it easier to access and find for people! But yea man, the climbing on Aloha Patrol was rad!

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 307

So it's like a trip report forum, but instead of posting my own trip report, I get to email it you and you post it on your blog.

To be frank that seems pretty dumb. But whatever, maybe that's a niche that needs filled.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

I kinda get it! It does seem like every trip report on here and ST is on something rad/gnarly/epic. Which as a beginner can get old, sometimes you want to read about that rad send on "cat in the hat(5.6)" ;) from your normal below average climber.....

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053

Seems to me you should go climb and blog about your trips. Isn't that what a blog is? Your stuff?

What is the end goal here? to encourage people to get outside or to make a buck?

JB

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 230

Honestly it kinda sounds like to me you want to post new climber trips to try to get new people who have never climbed to go out and do it. This is dangerous and I don't think anyone should ever encourage a new climber who has never been outside to try a trip on their own without someone who knows what they are doing.

My first time ever going to climb outdoors me and a friend just went for it and looking back after all these years of climbing we are lucky noone got hurt because we did some really stupid things.

By creating this website, its a place to share stories. Im working on the sharing portion to let people post directly without going through me. But besides the fact, its the idea of regardless of what grade you climb, your just out side or in the gym climbing. I want to promote the idea of climbing for your self and not for the letter grade.

On the topic of sending beginners outside, im in no way directly telling people to find the closest cliff, wrap a rope around a tree and climb. That would be just stupid. I am simply posting stories that beginners and intermediate climbers (the majority of the climbing population) can relate to. If Sam from the gym who can only climb 5.6 decides to go outside by him self, It is not my problem. I would only hope hes making an educated and safe decision but if hes an adult, Im not a baby sitter.

On that note, I will never produce information that I am unsure of knowing the fact that some one will very will take that information and put their life on it. Safety is no joke, but its not my responsibility when every adult who climbs at the gym goes outside and makes safe decisions.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

So it's not about the grade, but your trip report focusing on one climb mentions climbing grades 5 times for a four pitch route?

And it's all about having fun yet you ask the reader to "Remember, Danny and I goal was to send this, Mitch was just trying to get on the wall and have a good time"

And typos and grammar issues in a quick thread post are arguably fine, but in a "published" curated blog? Not sure I'd be comfortable sending my writing to a curator to post on his personal website when his curation of his own work seems rushed and didn't even seem to be reread before posting.

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90
BigB wrote:I kinda get it! It does seem like every trip report on here and ST is on something rad/gnarly/epic. Which as a beginner can get old, sometimes you want to read about that rad send on "cat in the hat(5.6)" ;) from your normal below average climber.....
Hey, hey, hey! Cat in the Hat is 5.8!

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/?type=route&id=2122

;-)
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Brian L. wrote: Hey, hey, hey! Cat in the Hat is 5.8! redriverclimbing.com/RRCGui...;id=2122 ;-)
I was referring to this ( mhttps://www.mountainproject.com/v/cat-in-the-hat/105732419 )
Timothy Carlson · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Don't let the haters in this thread dissuade you. Go for it! The worst thing that can come of this is that you will learn a lot, and use that knowledge to come out with a better product!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply