Mountain Project Logo

rappelling with 2 ropes?

Original Post
James Bixon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey had a question and hope this is the place to get it answered.

I was looking at routes to climb and one climb

mountainproject.com/v/north…

said you can make the climb easy with a 60m rope, but said you will need 2 ropes to rappel?!

what is this and how do you do it? do you really need 2 ropes to rappel?

any info would be awesome thanks..

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

If you don't know then you are not ready for the climb. You are in Colorado Springs so hire a guide to teach you more skills. Trad climbing requires many more skills than sport climbing. Hiring a guide for a weekend will pay dividends over the long hall. Another option is to read and experiment in a safe location. Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills covers a huge amount of topics about climbing.

In short the rappel is longer than 30 meters so you will need to tie two ropes together to be able to reach the ground. Look up the many EDK knot threads.

The description also says a 70 meter rope is long enough.

ya i was wondering about tieing together 2 ropes. thats interesting and makes total sense.

Im planning a huge trip and im still in Cali, mastering my skills.

Is Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills a book?

thanks for the quick responses..

looks like you guys saved me!

I am getting that book! A must have. thanks guys!

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

Bad troll fails badly.

WoodyW · · Alaska · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70
James Bixon wrote:Hey had a question and hope this is the place to get it answered. I was looking at routes to climb and one climb mountainproject.com/v/north… said you can make the climb easy with a 60m rope, but said you will need 2 ropes to rappel?! what is this and how do you do it? do you really need 2 ropes to rappel? any info would be awesome thanks..
This is not rock science, climbing friend, you just have to use your noggin.... Follow along, you're on belay. mmk?

Example: Your beta for whatever the F, says a one pitch route is 100ft high. By doing some advanced calculations, we know ropes that are 60m are roughly 196ft long. More than enough rope to finish the pitch! Bomber! But, when you clean up and go to repel, you find out (hopefully not the hard way), "Oh shit, my 60m rope doesn't extend 200ft when I'm anchored in and find the center of my rope to toss down and repel safely." Now you know why you'll need two 60m ropes to repel safely. Because the pitch is longer than half the length of a 60m rope to repel safely. 60m = 196ft. 196ft/2 = 98ft. You can climb just over 90ft high to repel safely with a 60m rope. *mic drop*
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
ColinW wrote:You can climb just over 90ft high to repel safely with a 60m rope.
actually you can rap more than 98' (half the rope length) because ropes stretch under load. Most ropes having a static elongation around 10% which means you get an additional 5% assuming you have half the load on each strand. That's 1.5 meters or 4.9' depending on your weight. That gets you 102.9' assuming your rope is a perfect 60m and you weigh 80kg. Obviously you get more length if you're heavier than that or if you simul rap.

Also, thanks for necromancing this thread.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "rappelling with 2 ropes?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started