Big wall hauling

Original Post
Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 449

I am hoping to climb my first big wall sometime this year. In preparation I have been practicing and reading up on hauling. The other day an idea occured to me; why don't haul bags have wheels?

I have watched countless videos of people hauling bags up slabs and it seems to me the extra friction makes hauling harder.

What are some reasons haul bags don't have wheels?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

Only one- because they would get destroyed in a single pitch, and then you would have a busted haul bag to drag up the wall.

Warrior · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15
Firestone wrote:I am hoping to climb my first big wall sometime this year. In preparation I have been practicing and reading up on hauling. The other day an idea occured to me; why don't haul bags have wheels? I have watched countless videos of people hauling bags up slabs and it seems to me the extra friction makes hauling harder. What are some reasons haul bags don't have wheels?
iirc Bill Dolt tried it... Dolt Cart
Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Most pitches are not an issue. On a handful the bag snags, that is the real bugger. You end up needing your partner to get to the bags and kick them loose.

Wheels will help on slabby smooth pitches, but will likely INCREASE the number of snags and jams on other pitches.

Scott O · · California · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 50
Warrior wrote: iirc Bill Dolt tried it... Dolt Cart
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/559db532e4b07fb6350b31b4/55c7e4fde4b0325796a1e10e/55c7e511e4b0e06494a985b4/1439164029862/Doltcart3.jpg?format=750w
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply