Mountain Project Logo

Living in Leavenworth?

Original Post
JKeller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 5

I'm taking a job based in Leavenworth for the summer season and I'm currently trying to iron out a living situation.

I have two options: 1) camp in a van and try to find someone for my dog to hang out with for the summer (less ideal). 2) Find an inexpensive place to rent in Leavenworth that is dog friendly (most ideal).

If anyone has any info or knows of any temporary housing for rent in the Leavenworth area, please let me know! Also, tips on free places to camp would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, if anyone is looking for climbing partners around Leavenworth this summer feel free to contact me!

Eric K · · Washington · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

Expensive rentals are hard to find. There can be free camping to be found but again there is not tons since most pay sites regularly fill up. When your ready to move you can send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks Eric!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Eric K wrote:Expensive rentals are hard to find.
Are you sure this is what you mean?
Eric K · · Washington · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

Unfortunately yes! The rental market in Leavenworth is pretty competitive making cheap rent difficult to come by. Especially if you have a pet.

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote: Are you sure this is what you mean?
Eric's 0 for 2 Frank but let's give him a pass if he really does in fact end up helping JKeller!
s kf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Maybe *even* expensive rentals are hard to find?

Nick Jackson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 135
  • even* expensive rentals are hard to find.
Lex · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 5

There is a Leavenworth housing rentals page on facebook that you will want to check out if you haven't already.

Thanks for the replies.  Seems that affordable housing in Leavenworth is really scarce.  Camping it is!

kyle.hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20

Hey, I am also going to be van based in Leavenworth this summer.  I'll pm you with contact info if you're into doing some climbing.  

Jacob Schmidt · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 120

The gravel lot to the west of LMS allows camping so long as you don't stay longer than 6 consecutive nights.

Matthew Tangeman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 35
Jacob Schmidt wrote:

The gravel lot to the west of LMS allows camping so long as you don't stay longer than 6 consecutive nights. The forest service lot next to Barney's Rubble and the Forrestlands is another good free option if you don't mind ignoring about 10 'No Camping" signs (not that I would condone such illegal behavior in a public forum). My friends that have lived in the area for a season have had luck alternating between the two, but if any local folks tell you that that is no longer kosher I will defer to them.

Please don't camp in the Forestland lot, especially when there are other free camping options just as easily available. Most agree that it's generally "not kosher".

Thanks Matthew, I edited my original post.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681
Matthew Tangeman wrote:

Please don't camp in the Forestland lot, especially when there are other free camping options just as easily available. Most agree that it's generally "not kosher".

It is absolutely nuts how many people completely disregard this request! 

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 170

I havent heard of this before.  Why is this considered not Koshur?  Or is it actually illegal?  It's been so long since I've been there ...

Where are these "other free camping options" if you don't mind sharing?

I usually just stay with my friends up near Plain.

Matthew Tangeman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 35
Pete Spri wrote:

I havent heard of this before.  Why is this considered not Koshur?  Or is it actually illegal?  It's been so long since I've been there ...

It is actually illegal - there's numerous no camping signs at the trailhead. It's patrolled only very sporadically, but nonetheless, the Forestland area is one of the few sanctioned (if that's the right word) climbing areas up the Icicle, with it's "official" FS pit toilet now and whatnot. So it's in the climbing community's best interest to not jeopardize what is a pretty positive relationship with the Forest Service. 

As for other free camping areas, as mentioned earlier, theres the LMS lot, a generally popular site across from Bridge Creek CG, and assorted dispersed areas further up the Icicle. None of them are probably really ideal for long term living though.

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 170
Matthew Tangeman wrote:

It is actually illegal - there's numerous no camping signs at the trailhead. It's patrolled only very sporadically, but nonetheless, the Forestland area is one of the few sanctioned (if that's the right word) climbing areas up the Icicle, with it's "official" FS pit toilet now and whatnot. So it's in the climbing community's best interest to not jeopardize what is a pretty positive relationship with the Forest Service. 

As for other free camping areas, as mentioned earlier, theres the LMS lot, a generally popular site across from Bridge Creek CG, and assorted dispersed areas further up the Icicle. None of them are probably really ideal for long term living though.

Thanks, it's been quite a while since I climbed in Icicle Creek.  Pretty bad to blatantly ignore the law!

And thanks for the tips on where people can crash.  I may get over there in the next year or two after I exhaust more of this area!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply