Boston area climbers?

Original Post
Bryce Shumate · · Boston, Massachusetts · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

Hey guys,
I live literally 5 minutes from Quincy quarries, I know it's not an ideal climbing destination but it's pretty much in my backyard. Looking for some partners to top rope with. I'm free mon-fri after 12 noon. Iv got top roping gear and sport gear. Also looking to get up to rumney as soon as some ice melts! I also really want to climb Farley if anyone is down to show me around?? I moved here from San Diego last year and can't wait to get on some real rock here on the east coast! Let's climb!!

Max Dismukes · · North Quincy, MA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 190

Sent ya a pm.

Keeghan O'Brien · · Boston, MA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 30

I am local too, climb mostly weekdays. Hit me up anytime if you're looking to get a few laps in. Feel free to text me 617-637-6878

Rosalieva · · southshore MA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

i have midweek days off...always looking for a weds partner

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Bryce- i used to live across the street from the Quarries.... try rattlesnake rocks as well. Nice, clean rock and no crowds.. The parking kinda sucks but it's good climbing.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Gee John, I always thought that you lived in the Quarries!!!!!

Bryce Shumate · · Boston, Massachusetts · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

awesome, lets get to climbing guys! Hey john, where is Rattle snake rocks located?

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Send me a PM if you need someone to climb with. I make a lot of trips to Cathedral, the Gunks, Acadia, and Rumney and I have been climbing at CRG in Watertown a lot.

Rattlesnake Rocks are in the Blue Hills Reservation above and a bit southwest of the Quarries. They are a collection of short but good quality, mostly unquarried granite buttresses, with a number of overhangs--a feature largely missing from the Quarries. I understand that there have been some access issues there in recent years, but I know that folks still climb there. Details of the routes can be found in Boston Rocks.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Officially climbing at Rattlesnake is off limits to protect an endangered species, wait for it......rattlesnakes. Pragmatically that means you can't get a permit to take a group there but small parties won't get noticed. The very popular Skyline Trail and others go right through the rocks and the snakes aren't really active until late April. There is no evidence in any decline in the snake population over the 40 years that large climbing groups did go there in the early spring.

Not only are 'they' planning on moving a bunch of rattlesnakes (which can swim) onto an island in the Quabbin Reservoir out this way, but they are now talking about breeding them up on Mt. Tom--though the snakes already seem to be doing fine in that department up there and on Mt. Tekoa. Fortunately due to the largely very poor rock quality, the only climbing on Mt. Tom is some iced up gullies in winter.

Interesting, i have seen 2 snakes ever in the climbing area. There were of course more just down the street ( i won't say where). Rattlers are 99% "slither away " snakes, only a few species will get aggressive.

Of course if you go looking for them.....

Joe M. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 9,580

My company just rebuilt the two water tanks in the Blue Hills (Big Blue and Chickatawbut) and we had to have pay a snake guy (wildlife biologist) to show up every morning of work and check for rattlesnakes before any work could start. I don't know if he ever found any, but if he did he would move them before they started.

Eric N · · Jamaica Plain, MA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Hey all,

Throwing my name in the mix for the Boston crowd. Took a few years off climbing so I'm weak and my rack is sparse now but should improve quickly. Sport's ok but trad's better. I'm always free weekends and I'm often free mid-week as well.

I'm not psyched on Quincy but could do Cape Ann, crow hill, and all the big stuff in New Hampshire. Anyone feel free to PM me to get out as soon as the snow melts from this week's nor'easter.

Best,

Eric

Nick Grant · · Natick, MA & Tamworth, NH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 15

I love this snake talk. I'll take Strand with a nine iron over a king rattler any day.

I was down Taos way last year and a buddy used his .44 loaded with .410 shot gun shells for BIG snakes.He's a pretty good shot after 23 years in USMC..

Blue Hills folks might not like this method too much though...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply