Mountain Project Logo

Any bigfoots out there?

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I've seen some threads in the past about people with larger feet and the shoes they wear but, I thought I'd start my own to see what you'll are using these day.

Size 13 street and 13.5 trail/boots (47.5 eu; la sportiva for example.)

I have a pair of Tenaya Tatankas(13.5), which are great (I feel confident in them) but, I can only get one short route out of them. Kills my big toes.

I started with a pair of Five Ten Mocs at 12.5 (everyone said go half to full size down or more, which I did) but, my toes were bleeding afterwards and I couldn't put any weight on them (I'm about 205lbs.) I tried the wear them in hot water trick too.

Evolves I'm unable to get on my foot. Same issues with some of the aggressive shoes in my size for other more popular brands. Ive tried on 30+ shoes and own four; none of which fit right. Except for a very old pair of climbx that are slick as oil to climb with. I could probably do better in Vans.

The biggest problem seems to be, with all the shoes I've tried around my size, is my big toes get pushed down and under the next largest toe and pushed back at the same time in that the knuckles are lifted up as the toes are curled back. Other toes seem to fit fine.

I've been making do with what I've got, trying not complain too much but, I'd like to get in some multipitch one of these day, let alone a second climb right after the first and that's just not happening it seems.

Should I start weight lifting for my big toes or something?

Anyway, if anyone has big feet and are willing to share their experience it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 80

I'm 13. I've tried different kinds of shoes. So far the only shoe I'm sticking with is evolv-royale shoe. It's a beginner shoe but it edges well, smears good and doesn't smash your toes when jammed in crack. I wear it in size 14 and I can get a good season out of a pair. They hold their shape pretty well and I can keep them on my feet when on a multi pitch.
Any other performance shoe doesn't fit me, as you said toes get smashed together, impossible to edge, even worst to jam.
You can try Mythos, they have sizes, but I didn't like them personally. I have a friend that was wearing Mythos in 47 size and would always bitch about his big toe killing him in them and I was like a skipping record telling him to change the shoes. Finally he tried 5.10, some mid performance shoe and was happy about it.
For me it boils down to comfort. Since I don't climb that hard I don't see a reason why I would seek a performance shoes that will mess up my foot. If some day I start climbing harder than 5.11 then I might consider getting something different, but even then it would have to be comfortable.

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 65

I'm a 13-14 depending on brand for street shoes. Long/narrow foot. Scarpas work well

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 300

I also do 13-14, 14 now mandatory for running shoes for me, guessing I'm like 13.75. I wear 45 in tc pro and katana lace, TC 45 is pretty near an all day fit for me. Point being we have about the same size feet and I'm wearing shoes 2.5 sizes smaller. I'm wondering a little if there's something unusual going on with your feet? Bone spurs or hammer toes or something? Really wide? Not trying to give you a hard time, just troubleshooting.

You said you'd tried on 30 shoes, so I assume that already includes the TC?

My local climbing shop (Rock and Snow) has some kind of gadget to stretch shoes somewhat. Maybe you could find a cobbler to stretch them for you, perhaps even targeting the big toe area?

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 80
Optimistic wrote:I also do 13-14, 14 now mandatory for running shoes for me, guessing I'm like 13.75. I wear 45 in tc pro and katana lace, TC 45 is pretty near an all day fit for me.?
I couldn't even put on 46 tc pro on my foot, kind of hard to even imagine slipping on 45.
sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60
Nate Doyle wrote:Ive tried on 30+ shoes and own four; none of which fit right. Except for a very old pair of climbx that are slick as oil to climb with. I could probably do better in Vans.
Sorry to crash the bigfoot party, as a person with the opposite problem- but wondering if you could resole the climbx shoes so the are not slick as oil.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ironically, I haven't tried on the TC Pro. My climbing partner has a pair and kept telling me to try them. I live in NorCal with REI all over the place but, they never had a pair in my size for me to try. 46 is always the largest size they carry. No way will my foot get into a 46 shoe. That's less than a 12, in fact. As I mentioned before, the Mocs at 12.5 literally made my toes bleed. And those are some of the stretchiest shoes around, are they not?

I guess I'll need to order a couple direct from La Sportiva, see what works and hope to sell off what doesn't (I hate to do it but, I'm not sure I have another choice. I've sent back 15 shoes so far and I feel bad about it as it is. Many of them I couldn't even get on my foot to start with and this even though they were 13+ sized. A few were highly aggressive, which was dumb on my part, admittedly but, most others were not.

I've tried the Mythos in tan and purple lol. Something about the point of the toe box being in the middle of the shoe would make matters worse. The more angled in at the big toe the worse it is. The angle of the toe box for my other toes has been fine otherwise; Egyptian.

I don't have wide feet what so ever. Never have I owned a pair of wide shoes. The heels on all the shoes I've tried have been fine, for the most part, anyway. Is it that they're trying to force your toes into a point? I can't figure out if it's that I need a wider toe box or a longer big toe area. Or to climb in Vibram Five Fingers lol.

I recently picked up an almost brand new pair of Scarpa Origins, size 13, for $30 at the REI Garage Sale. For that price I said what the heck, I'll try them but, when after using the Tatanka on a route, same issue. I couldn't even stand in them on the ground without limping and this as to not put weight on the toes.

Maybe not a fair assessment to run them right after another shoe but, they smeared like crap anyway, compared to the XS Virbram rubber of the Tenayas, that is (I like five ten rubber too, btw.) I think La Sportiva has the same XS rubber?

Maybe my big toes are messed up? I don't know.

@Ana, by all means, crash the party. That's something to consider. Thanks for the idea.

- I realize, for innocent bystanders who may be reading this post, ones who haven't had issues like these, that it does in fact sound like craziness (really, I'm aware; I don't understand it either. Sigh...) But, well, here I am. Either way, I apologize if it sounds like I'm whining. I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it and why I'm here looking for advice.

CThornton · · Boise · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 68

Sounds to me like you went too small on your 5.10 mocs. I'd consider trying on a pair of 13's or 13.5's and seeing how they work for you. They go all the way up to a 14 so I bet there's a size big enough for you, especially with some stretch. They tend to soften and mold to your feet with wear, which could be helpful if your feet have a weird shape.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Me again.

Nate Doyle wrote:I live in NorCal with REI all over the place but, they never had a pair in my size for me to try. 46 is always the largest size they carry. No way will my foot get into a 46 shoe. That's less than a 12, in fact. As I mentioned before, the Mocs at 12.5 literally made my toes bleed. And those are some of the stretchiest shoes around, are they not? I guess I'll need to order a couple direct from La Sportiva
In my experience La Sportiva runs 1.5 sizes / 3 increments large.

Looking at the size chart above, my true/street foot size is 4.5 women's as measured by Brannock, which using the chart is 3.5 men's, and 35 EU.

When I wear Five Ten shoes, I wear size 3.5 men's (Anasazi verde) or even 4.0 men's (quantum, blackwing). This means Five Ten runs true to size, or even 1/2 a size small.

Referring to the size chart above, I should be wearing size 35 in La Sportiva. But that is not true. I wear a size 33.5 EU in La Sportiva (Miura VS, Katana VS). At least for my shoe size, this means La Sportiva runs 1.5 sizes big.

If you are a true size 13 street, that puts you at size 47 EU, 13.5 = 47.5 EU. But if La Sportiva also runs large for the big end by the same # of sizes (1.5 sizes for me/3 increments), then you can probably go down to 46. Which I believe is the biggest size they make TC pros in, when I checked the website.
Travis Provin · · Boulder CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 105

US 14 street shoe here, no mortons toe although I hear that can be a problem for some.

Much to my surprise I've never had a problem getting shoes to fit. I climb 5.10 pinks, size 14 for trad and slab. Tenaya Tarifa's size 13.5 for sport.

Thanks CThornton, looks like they do go up to 14. I was looking at the Anasazi Guides in 14s as well but, didn't pull the trigger at the time. They are out of stock now and elsewhere too looks like.

Ana, I wear a 47.5 in La Sportiva trail shoes. I also have a pair of 47s. My toes touch a bit in those. I still use them. It's the descent where they start hurting but, I don't mind too much. I know that is apples to oranges, however.

Yes. Looks like TCs only go up to 46 on their site. I think I tried on their 47 Trantuala in the very very beginning of my search. The right foot fit okay. I'd probably need a 47.5 for the left foot, however; maybe even 48 left and 47.5 right, which it looks like they do carry.

Did I mention my right foot is a bit shorter than my left? Yeah...let's not even go there.

I wonder how different they are from the TCs. Are La Sportivas consistent across models in regards to their sizes, would you say?

Thanks again for the tips everyone!

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, Spain · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I wear anywhere from size 13 to 14 shoes. My hiking boots are size 14, most of my street shoes are 13 or 13.5. My left foot is maybe a quarter size smaller than my right foot. I looked long and hard for a decent fit. I prefer trad and was looking for a multi-pitch/all-day shoe (perfectly snug but not painful), so my first choice was the TC Pro but I couldn't wedge my feet into the size 46. I finally found what I wanted in the Butora Altura narrow, size 13.5 (they go up to 14 in both narrow and wide). I initially bought the size 14 wide but after maybe 6-8 outings they stretched out and became a bit sloppy--especially in width (leather uppers). I was a bit leery about trying the same shoe in 13.5 narrow because they seemed a bit on the tight side, but they have broken in nicely (it took a few wearings). I'll probably go back and get a second pair of Butora Alturas for backup when my current pair needs to be resoled. I would say the Butoras of bigfoot sizes might stretch out a quarter size in length and will likely stretch to conform to your main foot/ball/ankle in width--with somewhat less such stretch in the toe box. Might be another option for you. P.S. Rock and Resole here in Boulder can't yet get the original rubber to resole the Butoras. So, you can go with whatever you like after you wear them down. The original Butora rubber is fairly soft--slightly softer than the Edge rubber on my old Scarpa Technos--but I am finding I really like it.

Christopher Roberts · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 70

Butora has lots of shoes in big boy sizes.

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 195

Nate:

I feel your pain, literally! I'm a 13 dress shoe/14 athletic shoe and the middle toe on my left foot is slightly longer than my right. My feet aren't that narrow, but they are very low volume.

I used to be a La Sportiva fanboy but they seem to stop all their performance shoes at size 46. I have Katana Laces (46) but I can only wear them for short periods - they edge like scalpels though! Mythos will form to your feet beautifully and the laces give them great adjustability, but while great at smearing they did not edge or hook well for me.

I mostly climb in some old 5.10 Huecos re-soled with stealth on easy routes and Tenaya Ra's on less easy routes (I don't climb hard). I would look into other Tenaya models if I were you, they have a lot of options in larger sizes. My climbing partner loves Masais.

I bought some Butora Endeavors in narrow/low volume, but they exacerbated a pinched nerve in my left foot and were very low performing as well. Obviously lots of other people have good luck with Butoras.

I have Anasazi Pinks and I enjoy the sensitivity, but 5.10 are typically too wide for me so they don't edge well purely because of fit.

I'd like to try more Scarpas because I am a big fan of their boots. My Vitamins are my favorite approach shoes ever! I did own Scarpa Visions years ago but I couldn't break them in so I sold them. I'd like to hear more from Scott O on his preferred models.

Good luck and post up if you find a pair of winners!

Owen Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I wear size 13 street shoes and have the same problem. I found that what works for me in La Sportiva shoes is a size 45.5 in both Mythos and TC Pro. The mythos took some time to break in but now are like slippers, great for all day climbing or gym climbing. The TC Pros are breaking in well and are what I wear for most outdoor climbs. Still having trouble finding an aggressive shoe that fits, a 46 in the Futura or Genius is just way too tight and not worth the pain it takes to break them in. Hope this helps, good luck on your search!

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 195

This thread is inspiring me to get rid of some shoes that don't work for me.
I have three pairs of Tenaya Tarifas brand new, in box, US Mens 12, 12.5 and 13. $165 retail, priced to move at $125 each. Plus I have Butora Endeavors, US mens 13 1/2, excellent condition. $98 new, only $65! I can deliver or meet up in the Boulder/Denver area or you pay shipping.

--- Invalid image id: 112532122 ---

--- Invalid image id: 112532123 ---

Garret Nuzzo-Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,478

I have 13 feet too.

I have very wide feet as well and a mortons toe. My best shoes so far have been:

Evolv Astroman (size 13)
FiveTen Anasazi (size 12)
La Sportiva TC Pro (size 45)

My favorites by far are the Evolvs. A lace to toe shoe works the best and gives the most adaptability. I can't even get my foot into Anasazi Mocs.

GenericEric · · 53913 · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 25

My 2 cents as everyone is slightly different. Im a 13 in street.

5.10 anasazi size 12, they were rough for the first few months but worth it once i got em to wear in nicely.

Can't go wrong with tc pros for those long days. I forget what size i got em in.

PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I guess it really is all a matter of fit. I'm a 13 right, 13.5 left as measured by a fitter, who put me in size 14 shoes for running.

I wear 13 anasazi velcros which are pretty much slipper fit (and haven't even been resoled yet). I could walk to work in them.

Size 12 anasazi pinks are 3-4 hour comfortable, and I just picked up a pair of Miura VCS in 45.5 - my first real "performance fit" shoe - the right fits like a glove right out of the box, like all day comfortable which makes me wonder if I didn't order too large. The left is a little tight on the second toe, but that might be a poorly trimmed nail. I've only got a day in the gym on them, but they've both been on for a few movies on the couch just to break in. New Finale's in a 46 leave me flat toed and comfortable.

I don't have a morton's toe, so maybe that's it, but I can't understand how someone that wears the same size as me is getting bloody stumps out of the same shoes, or is having issues even getting them on. I understand them not being a sneaker fit (I've got a friend that it took hours to get him comfortable with a pair of Evolv Royale's in a size over his street shoes), but the level of discomfort isn't something I've ever understood.

Then again, I'm unencumbered by toenails on my big toes.

Am I allowed to highjack my own thread?   

As you all know, I need larger shoes, so I'm selling some of the shoes that are too small for me. Maybe these will work better for some of you? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply