Moving to Golden, CO and looking for Roomate(s)

Original Post
Timothy Nooney · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Hey Everyone,

I just got a job in Stapleton, CO. It's a little east of Denver. I live in Maryland currently. I'll be out there in late April. Ideally, I'd like to find several roommates to move in with.

For those of you out interested please send me a message. I know little of Denver traffic, I like Golden but realistically is it worth it just to be closer to climbing outdoors?

Cheers

SeanC Cahill · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Will likely depend on your work schedule - days of the week you'll be working and hours. Also how long you want your commute to be for work vs climbing. Stapleton is just off I70 and you'll have pretty direct access to that from Golden. Traffic can be kinda heinous during standard rush hours.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 0
Timothy Nooney wrote:Hey Everyone, I just got a job in Stapleton, CO. It's a little east of Denver. I live in Maryland currently. I'll be out there in late April. Ideally, I'd like to find several roommates to move in with. For those of you out interested please send me a message. I know little of Denver traffic, I like Golden but realistically is it worth it just to be closer to climbing outdoors? Cheers
Golden is a good choice. Not too far from Stapleton. Very close to climbing and I70/the mountains.

Golden can be expensive. You might also look at Arvada, particularly western arvada. Slightly closer to Boulder and probably a little closer to Stapleton as well and much more reasonable prices.

oh and if you are used to Maryland/DC traffic then you probably won't notice the traffic out here. Except for the parking lot on I70 during ski season.

Stagg54 Taggart wrote: Golden is a good choice. Not too far from Stapleton. Very close to climbing and I70/the mountains. Golden can be expensive. You might also look at Arvada, particularly western arvada. Slightly closer to Boulder and probably a little closer to Stapleton as well and much more reasonable prices.
Thanks for the info!
Timothy Nooney wrote: Thanks for the info!
Anywhere along the front range, you can't go wrong.

I'd look generally on the corridor from Lakewood up 93 towards Boulder if you want to be close to climbing. The further east you head from there towards the city, the cheaper.

Golden and Boulder would likely be the most expensive.

Louisville, Arvada, West Minster aren't bad options.

You'll likely want something off of I70 or 36 as far as getting to work.
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 63

I can't imagine commuting from Golden or anywhere along US36 to Stapleton.

Going along 270...traffic nightmare.

I-70 rebuild the next few years...traffic nightmare.

But I couldn't imagine living that far east either. Pick your poison.

Well currently I'm way too far east in my opinion! Realistically how long would the commute take in heavy traffic?

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 63

I walk to work so not sure.

I would just hop on google maps and check where you are going from and too to see. Check it at 7am mountain time.

Ryan Marsters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 798
Parker Wrozek wrote:I-70 rebuild the next few years...traffic nightmare.
It'll be longer than that! See the Big Lid project. All of I-70 between I-25 and 225 will eventually be phased underground. Sometimes faster to take I-76 to I-270

Working non-standard hours, the commute to Stapleton isn't bad. Working the usual hrs, the commute can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour+ from the closest point in Golden. Tack on 20 minutes from the Earth Treks area. If you can swing a 7AM-3PM type thing, it'll save significant commute time.

The southern part of Arvada or the evolving Berkely/Sunnyside areas will shave off a good 15 minutes from the commute and housing costs are about 25% less.

I would rather live closer to work. It gives more flexibility to go in early and take off early to beat the traffic for climbing.
Ryan Marsters wrote: It'll be longer than that! See the Big Lid project. All of I-70 between I-25 and 225 will eventually be phased underground. Sometimes faster to take I-76 to I-270 Working non-standard hours, the commute to Stapleton isn't bad. Working the usual hrs, the commute can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour+ from the closest point in Golden. Tack on 20 minutes from the Earth Treks area. If you can swing a 7AM-3PM type thing, it'll save significant commute time. The southern part of Arvada or the evolving Berkely/Sunnyside areas will shave off a good 15 minutes from the commute and housing costs are about 25% less. I would rather live closer to work. It gives more flexibility to go in early and take off early to beat the traffic for climbing.
Another nice area to look at is just south of I-70 near Federal/Sheridan. That whole area is fairly nice. Tennyson has a nice little business district. It's really easy access to I70 (about 15 mins to Golden) and you can head up federal to get to 36 to go Boulder, or I76 to head over to I25 and Stapleton.

We used to live there. It was pretty nice. My wife worked in Stapleton when we lived there. I don't think it ever took her more than 1/2 hour to get to work.

Lots of good restaurants and bars in that area and some nice little parks.
Sends McGee · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

If you've got a 9-5 in Stapleton, I would live close to work and drive to the mountains. Stapleton itself isn't bad, but I would also look into Park Hill, City Park, Uptown, or spots in north/northeast Denver. They're not the fanciest neighborhoods in Denver, but they're affordable, and you won't spend an hour on I-70 each direction.
Consider the fact that you would be driving to work theoretically five times a week, and the mountains twice.

Cara Hubbell · · Arvada, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 9
Hunter McPherson wrote:If you've got a 9-5 in Stapleton, I would live close to work and drive to the mountains. Consider the fact that you would be driving to work theoretically five times a week, and the mountains twice.
THIS. I live in Golden now because I work from home and climb a lot, but I used to work southeast of Denver in Centennial. I lived down there because it wasn't worth it for me to make that commute five times a week. I work 7-3, and it seems like a lot of other people do too because traffic starts at 2:30pm weekdays and even earlier on Fridays. There's no traffic weekend mornings to get to Golden (it just gets bad if you're skiing and have to take I-70 up to Silverthorne, Vail, etc.)
Cara Hubbell · · Arvada, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 9

Also, a really good place to find roommates and/or climbing partners is Denver Social Climb on Facebook.

Matt Pierce · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 183

Do you people even live in the Front Range - what the fuck people?

15,000 people a month have been moving here and it's a nightmare let's be honest.

Here is some REAL advice. Stapleton is NOT close to Golden and is NOT easy to get to on I-70. I-70 is a nightmare anytime even close to rush hour. IF you were to try and work in Stapleton and live in Golden you might think 6th Ave would be a good quick way into town - WRONG - eastbound 6th (in the AM) is a total shit show.

Uptown, Cap Hill, RiNO, Park Hill, Lowry and other metro places are not "affordable" - if you are looking for multiple people to live with that will be hard as apartments in DENVER are rarely over 2 bedrooms. And do you own a car? Good luck finding a place to park.

My advice? I honestly don't know, this place is a joke nowadays...meaning nothing is easy. Maybe live in East Lakewood or Broomfield?

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I agree that a Golden to Stapleton commute would be a very bad choice, assuming you have anything that resembles a 9-5 job.

For one traffic: That commute probably clocks in at 45 min-1 hour on a good day during rush hour right now. Starting in early 2018 I70 will be closed down for 3-4 years. That would likely shift your best route to US 6 (along with everyone else). Taking 6 to Stapleton right now is probably a 1-1.5 hour endeavor during rush hour. Once all of the traffic from I70 shifts to 6 I would guess you are looking at a minimum of 1.5 hour each way. And you are locking yourself into that commute 5 days a week, when post-work climbing isn't really feasible for 4 months of the year.

Number two, I don't know if the strategy really opens up any additional climbing opportunities. Your office is going to be the departing point for all post-work climbing, so where you live isn't going to effect M-F climbing. Living in Golden just assures that you have to do the commute even when you arent climbing after work. On the weekends the additional 20 minutes to the crag departing from Denver vs Golden is pretty trivial (when compared with the 2-3 hour daily commute if you live in Golden).

Number three, Denver is actually a very rad city. Of course it is derided on MP because there is a strong aversion to cities in this crowd, but it has a ton more to offer than Golden once you are off the crag.

So get a place in Denver, ride your bicycle to work, climb the same amount, limit the commute to only when you are actually going climbing, and overall live a much happier life.

Cara Hubbell wrote:Also, a really good place to find roommates and/or climbing partners is Denver Social Climb on Facebook.
Thanks!
Andy Spellmeyer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I drive in Denver metro for a living. You're looking at 1hr+ commute each way from Golden to Stapleton, at best. In light daytime traffic it's still 45 mins.

mac cole · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Rooney, the drive from Golden to Stapleton every single day will tire you. The amount of traffic and driving into the sun in the morning and again upon leaving in the afternoon will get very old. You should take a look at Aurora for least expensive housing relative to proximity to your work place. Will be easier to jump on E-470 and take a non busy route to Boulder for play or get on i-70 West one time at end of work week to get to the mountains. imho

For roommates check Craigslist and or go to see outdoor related Meetups. When you join meet ups add that you are looking for roommate to your "about" you. Their are also more types of forums for skiing and such if you search the inter webs

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Ok there's already some bogus advice in this thread...but you can't actually be recommending that someone should move to Aurora !

snobbit · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Live in Stapleton. Walk to work. Or for better access to bars/restaurants, live in City Park/Congress Park/Uptown and bike to work. Save your driving for climbing, not commuting.

Source: five years of living a bike ride away from my office in downtown Denver. Denver is a fun city. Aurora/Arvada/Lakewood/Westminster are suburbs. Ew.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply