Mountain Project Logo

Replacement Laces

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Hey everyone,

So the laces on my Pinks are f$&@ked. I've climbed some cracks in them and accidentally stepped on a lace once, and now the outer layer is completely stripping in one portion, so it's pretty clear I'm going to need to replace them. I've heard of people replacing their Anasazi laces with flat laces because they are more comfortable in cracks. Any thoughts on this? For those of you who climb cracks often and totally abuse their laces, is there a particular brand that is more durable, or do you just run to the drug store and buy the cheapest sh!t you can find?

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Gonna be at the Lake this weekend? I might have some flat laces lying around if I look hard enough that you can have. No guarantee how bad the colors will clash with your pinks though!

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 472

Buy some paratroopers cord (550 cord). Cut to length, pull out the guts to make it flat, heat seal the ends to make aglets.

EDIT: I've done this for my Aces. Plan on doing it with my Mythos soon. Paratroopers cord is really tough and knots well after you pull the guts out

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Wow, that's genius Wivanoff! Don't think I'll be at the Lake this weekend Jack...weather's looking iffy and I have family duties to attend, sadly. Thanks for the offer, though. Are they normal flat laces, or are they outdoor-specific?

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Back in the heyday of my skateboard career I had to buy new shoes every few months because I'd blow out the sole. They always came with extra laces so I have a bunch. They're maybe a little more abrasion-resistant than usual to ward off the effects of griptape but no they aren't anything special.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply