Mountain Project Logo

Why do people like climbing sandstone?

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Best thing about sandstone is that someday it might turn into quartzite.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

For me, the attraction of desert sandstone out West is as much about how beautiful it is as about how it climbs. You'll see forms and colors in a place like Red Rocks or the Utah desert that are just unbelievable, and that's because of how sandstone forms and weathers. In the southeast it's just plain old really good rock.

Interesting (to me, anyway) detail that I learned on another thread on here (I didn't write what follows in quotes, in reference to Chattanooga, as to WHY the two rock types are so different, namely solubility in water:
"The sandstone in the southwest has a combination of calcium carbonate and iron oxide cement (what holds the grains of sand together). Both of these are relatively soluble and weaken when wet. Southeastern rock, such as the Pennsylvanian Warren Point Sandstone you'll be climbing here, has a silica (quartz) cement, which is not water soluble and is very strong. "

Nickc Diaz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

It seems that the consensus is that CO has shitty rock.

If one of you all knowing, infallible rock Gods could tell me what states are known for having the best quality climbing rock that would be wonderful.

Nickc Diaz wrote:It seems that the consensus is that CO has shitty rock. If one of you all knowing, infallible rock Gods could tell me what states are known for having the best quality climbing rock that would be wonderful.
Wisconsin.
jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Nickc Diaz wrote:It seems that the consensus is that CO has shitty rock. If one of you all knowing, infallible rock Gods could tell me what states are known for having the best quality climbing rock that would be wonderful.
Tennessee
Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Nickc Diaz wrote:Is sandstone vastly different between areas? Why do folks like climbing this stuff? Limestone and granite have been sticky and stable in my experience and perfectly good choices.
So the reason I DONT like Limestone is that it is VERY different in each place. Sometimes polished, sometimes blocky, sometimes pockety, sometimes, cold. Polished limestone is anything BUT sticky and can be downright ice-like. Sandstone, while fragile at times, tends to always feel the same to me. I prefer granite to all rock types, though, because it seems to be the best for placing gear as well as for friction. But yeah, as climbers we will climb anything...just look at all the MN people who flock to Blue Mounds each year ( including myself)
jmmlol wrote: Tennessee
Horseshit.

This one knows not of what he speaks.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
n00b wrote:Best thing about sandstone is that someday it might turn into quartzite.
Now that's trolling, lol. I happen to enjoy slipping and sliding up quartzite cliffs, but it's definitely not for everybody.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
jersey girl wrote: So the reason I DONT like Limestone is that it is VERY different in each place. Sometimes polished, sometimes blocky, sometimes pockety, sometimes, cold. Polished limestone is anything BUT sticky and can be downright ice-like. Sandstone, while fragile at times, tends to always feel the same to me. I prefer granite to all rock types, though, because it seems to be the best for placing gear as well as for friction. But yeah, as climbers we will climb anything...just look at all the MN people who flock to Blue Mounds each year ( including myself)
Granite can be super slick and polished as well, though. For gear it's undoubtedly the best, but I've definitely slipped on some slick granite slabs that I could have walked up if they were sandstone.
Ted Pinson wrote: Now that's trolling, lol. I happen to enjoy slipping and sliding up quartzite cliffs, but it's definitely not for everybody.
While DL Baraboo Quartzite is indisputably the creme de la creme of rock for climbing, there are other slightly less exquisite forms of quartzite for the plebians among us.
Joe Crawford · · Truckee, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 105
California. End.
JoeCrawford wrote: California. End.
Everybody knows California is not a real place. Its just a Joan Didion fever dream.
Joe Crawford · · Truckee, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 105
n00b wrote: Everybody knows California is not a real place. Its just a Joan Didion fever dream.
Like.
w.elliott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Warrior wrote:Nice pics..."Proper" iirc, Lynn Hill dubbed the NRG the best rock in the USA, sans weather, or something of that sort...I'd agree.
Lynn Hill has obviously never climbed in Rifle...
Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656
It is my humble opinion that the New River Gorge is the best rock climbing in North America (I've never climbed on many of the other continents).
Alexander Stathis wrote: It is my humble opinion that the New River Gorge is the best rock climbing in North America (I've never climbed on many of the other continents).
I've only been to NRG a couple of times, but it struck me as a rather unremarkable crag. Sure, pretty extensive. But not particularly interesting.
Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
n00b wrote: I've only been to NRG a couple of times, but it struck me as a rather unremarkable crag. Sure, pretty extensive. But not particularly interesting.
Oh shit! hang on guys let me go make some popcorn for this shit brb!
n00b wrote: I've only been to NRG a couple of times, but it struck me as a rather unremarkable crag. Sure, pretty extensive. But not particularly interesting.
Weird. Maybe you don't like rock climbing?
Alexander Stathis wrote: Weird. Maybe you don't like rock climbing?
  • forehead slap*

Finally! After 30 years it's all clear to me! Maybe I'll take up curling.
n00b wrote: *forehead slap* Finally! After 30 years it's all clear to me! Maybe I'll take up curling.
Glad I could help! Curling does look fun!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Why do people like climbing sandstone?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started