Mountain Project Logo

Biking on Carriage Roads at Minnewaska State Park

Original Post
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

I see on the Minnewaska site that the park is currently closed to "mountain biking."

Minnewaska web site

Does this include riding a bike on the carriage roads, or just biking on trails? Does anyone know whether the rangers going to give me hard time or question my plans if I show up at Minnewaska with a bike in the next week or two, for the purpose of riding out to Millbrook?

fvclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 85

You can bike the carriage roads just not any of the trails. Carriage roads aren't what I would call mountain biking though.

Gunks Apps · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 224
SethG wrote:I see on the Minnewaska site that the park is currently closed to "mountain biking." Minnewaska web site Does this include riding a bike on the carriage roads, or just biking on trails? Does anyone know whether the rangers going to give me hard time or question my plans if I show up at Minnewaska with a bike in the next week or two, for the purpose of riding out to Millbrook?
Hey Seth, They close the carriage roads after the Winter to allow for the snow to melt and the trails to dry out so bikes won't rut the gravel surface when it's wet. However this year it shouldn't be an issue due to lack of snow, but they are sticklers for the rules so It wouldn't surprise me if you got hassled.
oldfattradguuy kk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 170
fvclimb wrote:Carriage roads aren't what I would call mountain biking though.
Why not? Folks have been riding on them for over 100 years.
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

OK thanks for the info. Guess I won't try to go to Millbrook from Minnewaska for a while.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Biking on Carriage Roads at Minnewaska State Park"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started