Camping @ Gunks?

Original Post
Cron · · Barrington, NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 15

Can anyone tell me what is the deal with off-season camping at the Gunks? Can I poach "closed" campgrounds? What do folks normally do this time of year? Looking to camp out and climb the week of March 13th. Thanks.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
Cron wrote:Can anyone tell me what is the deal with off-season camping at the Gunks? Can I poach "closed" campgrounds? What do folks normally do this time of year? Looking to camp out and climb the week of March 13th. Thanks.
Theres a couple MUA areas about 20 minutes out and a walmart at about the same distance. If you get caught at the old MUA you will be in trouble.

This in my opinion is one of the worst things the AAC campground brought to the gunks besides ridiculously high camping rates not even matched by KOA's. Theres no place to camp near the cliff in the "off season". They really need to open the campground in the off season and make the honor system for payments. Also, what they define as off season is retarded by climbing standards because right now are perfect send temps.
Eric G. · · Saratoga Springs, NY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 25

My favorite time to be at the gunks is precisely the dates that are "off season"

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
Eric G. wrote:My favorite time to be at the gunks is precisely the dates that are "off season"
Or that land on a weekday!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply