Mountain Project Logo

Traveling overseas with crash pads?


Original Post
Zeth Abney · · Lubbock, Texas · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm planning on relocating to Spain in the coming fall and was wondering what the protocol is for flying with crashpads? I assume you check them, but I just wanna cover my bases. Also, any nuance/quasi-known advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Wilburn · · Cheyenne, WY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 350

Zeth I ran across a write up from a man who has a BD Mondo pad and ruminated on the same issue you are pondering.

Syn Rock Fly With Mondo

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

British Airways lets you check sports equipment for free as I recall. I assume other airlines do as well.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
jmmlol wrote:British Airways lets you check sports equipment for free as I recall. I assume other airlines do as well.
The big problem is the size of crash pads, which generally fall well outside of most airlines limits. While many airlines make exceptions for skis and golf bags, pads are in a more nebulous zone.

That link above:
Syn Rock Fly With Mondo

...is brilliant, but I don't know if that would work for all pads.
jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Marc801 wrote: The big problem is the size of crash pads, which generally fall well outside of most airlines limits. While many airlines make exceptions for skis and golf bags, pads are in a more nebulous zone. That link above: Syn Rock Fly With Mondo ...is brilliant, but I don't know if that would work for all pads.
Looks like a crashpad will fit within the size limits that they waive fees for.

britishairways.com/en-us/in…
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
jmmlol wrote: Looks like a crashpad will fit within the size limits that they waive fees for. britishairways.com/en-us/in…
Wouldn't that depend on the specific crash pad?
jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Marc801 wrote: Wouldn't that depend on the specific crash pad?
I guess if your crashpad is a twin mattress it might be too big.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply