Unclimbed Crags in Arizona

Original Post
Eric L · · Phoenix · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Does anyone have any idea or could point me into a direction toward where to look for unclimbed rocks?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 643

South. Or maybe west.

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888
Steven K wrote:Does anyone have any idea or could point me into a direction toward where to look for unclimbed rocks? I've been itching to put up a couple first ascents and establish some routes.
Lol...............
Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,240

You will simply just have to go hike out to some rocks visible from roads to check them out. The process is best done alone I have found, or with friends that don't mind recon hikes. I think you'll find it fun in and of itself at times.

Eli · · Lives in a truck · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,486

Anywhere and everywhere. It's a big state with a lot of rocks. Try the Vermilion Cliffs if you're feeling extra savage.

Neil and Cassidy · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

There are not enough routes on questionable rock quality in Arizona, especially around Phoenix.

Timothy Carlson · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

It's a rugged, remote state. Use a topo map, and go for a hike.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Plenty of unclimbed rock in AZ, especially if you're willing to hike.

My problem has been finding people who are willing to put in the time. There's like a mile of unclimbed quartzite I'd love to tap, but it's a multi-day surge.

Ellis L · · Toyota Matrix, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 35

Anyone ever climbed Castle Dome Peak outside of Yuma? There's a cliff band up there.

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888
Politically Correct Ball wrote:Plenty of unclimbed rock in AZ, especially if you're willing to hike. My problem has been finding people who are willing to put in the time. There's like a mile of unclimbed quartzite I'd love to tap, but it's a multi-day surge.
Sounds like Adam is your guy ;) JB
jbak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,240

Steven you really don't understand the FA mindset. People don't just go find great crags and then start broadcasting where they are. Most are actually pretty secretive about the whole thing.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

If you're trying to make a name for yourself my making another crag please stop now while we don't hate you as yet.

The stuff I'm doing now you hike loads in, pick a line, go for it ground-up, failure being an option, and nothing keeping you safe other than better judgement. It's what used to be called rock climbing.

If you don't have the gumption to find the lines, then I think it's safe to say you failed before step 1.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply