Mountain Project Logo

Boot dryers????

Original Post
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715

Hi, just picked up some electric boot dryers that go inside boots- they look like little vibrators that go inside the boots and get warm- will these mess up leather/goretex single boots? Should I only use them when absolutely needed or are they good for anytime use?

JBernard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

I use a pair in my ski boots and leather ice climbing boots. They don't get that warm, mainly just get air moving moisture out of the boot. They work great, I've had no issues.

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

Well, the manufacturers say don't use heat for whatever that is worth, although I'm sure low heat won't cause much damage. I usually just stick a small desiccant pad in the toe box of each boot and let them dry at room temp.

Scott M. McNamara · · Tucson, Arizona · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

While it feels nice to put them on in the morning, one of my soles came unglued.

I only suspect that the dryer caused this problem.

It did not take much time or effor to glue it back onto the boot.

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105

Cool air moving dries faster than stagnant warm air.

The reason why you don't want to apply too much heat is that you'll start to get debonding. The GTX liner in boots is essentially dropped in and then adhered with "dots" of adhesive to the upper. Also you can get the insole liner and the foam coming apart, or different pieces of foam (think collar or tongue) can become unglued.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
NorCalNomad wrote:Cool air moving dries faster than stagnant warm air. The reason why you don't want to apply too much heat is that you'll start to get debonding. The GTX liner in boots is essentially dropped in and then adhered with "dots" of adhesive to the upper. Also you can get the insole liner and the foam coming apart, or different pieces of foam (think collar or tongue) can become unglued.
Yeah, but these kind of dryers are specifically made for boots and don't really get "hot" at all. I've been using them in ski and mountain boots for over 30 yrs with no problems at all.
jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,139

I never leave home without by boot dryer in the winter season. It's the only way to guarantee dry boots in the am.

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105
Marc801 wrote: Yeah, but these kind of dryers are specifically made for boots and don't really get "hot" at all. I've been using them in ski and mountain boots for over 30 yrs with no problems at all.
Yeah, some though are definitely aren't as considerate to temp
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
NorCalNomad wrote: Yeah, some though are definitely aren't as considerate to temp
I recall that the ones I purchased had a max temperature notice on the package.
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Got a set of "dry guy" boot driers. Use them all the time. Don't think they make enough heat to cause any issues. 

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Would probably avoid anything that gets really hot and dries stuff super fast. 

Tony M · · Peabody, MA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I have had multiple style dryers through the years. I now have the peet dryers that fold up and use UV light and a small amount of heat. They are by far my favorite so far. Come with a12v adapter too. So when I sleep in the truck I can plug them in for the morning. Or I am able to warm the boots on the ride too trail, and better yet leave my driving sneaks on them while I'm climbing and come back to a nice warm boot at the end of the day. 

They are on amazon for 40$ worth checking out if you're in the market. 

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Portable-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B001ABPDCS

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I'll second the Dry Guy boot dryers. I just got one and have been drying my climbing shoes on them, which has helped the stink considerably. They have a cool air or warm air option. A couple of hours on cool air dries things out just fine and no worries about ruining glue or bonding. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply