Mountain Project Logo

TR SOLO SETUP

Original Post
Michael Griffith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I AM LOOKING INTO GETTING THE PETZL CROLL CHEST ASCENDER FOR A PRIMARY AND A PETZL MICRO TRAXION PULLEY AS A BACKUP/SECONDARY LOOKING FOR THOUGHTS ON THIS SETUP OR OTHERS, AS WELL AS ANY EXPERTISE ON THIS MATTER AS I HAVE NEVER SET THIS UP BEFORE. IF ANYONE IS IN OR AROUND COLO SPRNGS AND HAS SOME EXTRA TIME TO DEMONSTRATE THIS SET UP OR JUST LOOKING FOR AN EXTRA TO CLIMB WITH LET ME KNOW, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

From friend to friend, the "ALL CAPS" thing is a bit over the top. That said, I think your system is just fine. For what its worth, I like the micro as the primary and croll as the back up, but either will work. there are literally dozens of threads about this, the search function on MP is your best bet here. Good luck!

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 355

YUR GUNNA DIE

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 983

I use that system most of the time. It's fine.
The croll kind of has to be the primary as it rides pretty high mallioned to the belay loop.

Michael Griffith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks Danger, the all caps is a work thing so don't get so tied up on that, and ultimate thing is I would like to know if anyone in this area has this setup or another and would like to show it off! But hey thanks friend for telling me to hit the search function! Great advice!

Chris Barton · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 30

I have been using a croll and a basic but you have to move the top ascender up by hand which is not fun. I ordered a mini-traxion to replace the top ascender and it makes life much easier. Also, I've tried weighing the rope to help it feed through the devices but it pulls you to center or to where the toprope anchor is and can be difficult to climb a route that is not directly under the anchor the entire time. Falling on the ascender is a pain to get out of when tired. And I recommend a grigri over an ATC to get out and down after a fall and you're smoked.

Solo TR

Solo TR 2
Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 355

^^^^ In the picture and caption you say, "Sling with oval around neck". Like, just around your neck or around shoulders? If its just around your neck you might hang yourself (bad). Also, why is the top ascender attached to such a long daisy? That should be at chest hight. Are you wearing a ski helmet? There are a few things going on in those photos that are suspect.

Not trying to be a dick, but to the OP, I wouldn't do what this guy is doing. There are LOTS of websites and threads dedicated to this that show and explain best practices. Better yet, go with someone who knows what they're doing and dont listen to bad advice on the internet.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 983
Chris Barton wrote:I have been using a croll and a basic but you have to move the top ascender up by hand which is not fun.
Those pics look like a total PITA. The system ideally should self feed, not require moving the device(s) by hand. The sling around the neck?! Yikes.

Found a pic of my croll/micro setup:

Croll/micro tr solo

Clipping a water bottle or a hank of the end of the rope to the bottom is all the weight you need on the rope to give a smooth feed.

You guys make great points. The daisy is long but works fine as a primary and has since been replaced with a mini-traxion and more in line with what Petzl recommends. The Helmet, it's my ski, skateboard, and climbing helmet, it exceeds the standards climbing helmets are rated for and I already had it. The sling necklace for sure could be replaced with a chest sling, but it is attached to my harness so hanging would be pretty tough and that's the setup that Petzl recommends for TR solo setup. Good points though and noted. Here's the link that I used:

TR Solo with one rope two acsenders

TR Solo setup
Andy Novak wrote:^^^^ There are LOTS of websites and threads dedicated to this that show and explain best practices. Better yet, go with someone who knows what they're doing and dont listen to bad advice on the internet.
I gotta say I agree with this more than anything else. My set up works for me and I feel safe using it, I've taken falls on it but it wasn't the best set up. I like changing the sling from neck to chest, getting rid of the daisy chain (something I improvised because I has a mini-traxion on delivery from trekkinn which takes forever) but I'm keeping the helmet. ;)
rockhard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 55

Maybe look into getting a kong backup or a camp goblin. Made for rope access and designed to hold top rope falls. Also then you only are using 1 device and there is way less cluster. Expensive but worth it if you are going to top rope solo a lot.

Sam Latone 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0
Chris Barton wrote:You guys make great points. The daisy is long but works fine as a primary and has since been replaced with a mini-traxion and more in line with what Petzl recommends. The Helmet, it's my ski, skateboard, and climbing helmet, it exceeds the standards climbing helmets are rated for and I already had it. The sling necklace for sure could be replaced with a chest sling, but it is attached to my harness so hanging would be pretty tough and that's the setup that Petzl recommends for TR solo setup. Good points though and noted. Here's the link that I used: TR Solo with one rope two acsenders
Taken big falls on overhanging roofs with this setup and it works great. I use a nalgene water bottle attached to the end of my rope to keep he rope tensioned
Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 600

For keeping the device upright and high, I find it's best not to attach the device to your neck/shoulders with anything strong.

Guy at the Cookie showed me how to use a loop of elastic shockcord, more or less @ 60cm, girthed through the mini/micro and then bandoliered around your shoulder:
rei.com/product/107608/libe…

Elastic to keep everything taught and in place, weak enough to not break your bones if something goes wrong and your frame weights it

Sirius wrote:For keeping the device upright and high, I find it's best not to attach the device to your neck/shoulders with anything strong. Guy at the Cookie showed me how to use a loop of elastic shockcord, more or less @ 60cm, girthed through the mini/micro and then bandoliered around your shoulder: rei.com/product/107608/libe… Elastic to keep everything taught and in place, weak enough to not break your bones if something goes wrong and your frame weights it
Thanks Sirius. I will definitely try the chest shock cord.
C Ross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 105

Any thoughts on the new Wild County Revo as a primary or backup? What would you pair it with?

Jordan Gans · · Laramie, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

Hopefully the Revo works well for Lead Soloing (which remains to be seen), but I can't imagine it will work well for TR soloing.

The way the rope looks to be set up in the device, you would have to manually feed through each time you moved upwards, basically killing any sort of flow that you get using PCDs.

Jay 1975 · · Bonedale,CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,010

A mini traxion tied with cord to BOTH harness loops is fine enough. No need to hang yourselves!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply