Spain/Morocco - March to May

Original Post
payne Berthiaume · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Hi!

I plan on starting this climbing trip in Siurana this weekend (first week of March), and then keep moving South toward Morocco, hitting places like El Chorro and Chullilla (and I still have to do a bunch of research to find more places to check out on the way).

I checked out Auzat, Targassonne, and Abella de la Conca on the way, but there were not very many climbers out there due to the cold.

I usually camp and hitchhike.

Many years of experience climbing outdoors on sport routes. Very comfortable on 5.10s, and can also lead 5.11s.
I have done a few multi pitch routes too (at Smith Rock, Oregon, and Piedra Parada, Argentina).

25 years old, Male, Canadian.
Friendly musician that travels with his guitar.
I have my harness, shoes, ATC, and a carabiner.
I speak French, English, and Spanish fluently.

While we are at it, I must ask: which popular spots have a free camping site?
I only heard of Siurana.

Le Bob · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 60

Hey Payne, I am also planning a trip to climb in Morocco. You must already have started your trip. Where are you now and where/when do you plan to be mid-April?

Luna Luna · · New Haven, CT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

hey how long will you all be in the region? I'll be in morocco/spain for the last week of may and for most of june. looking to spend most of the time in Catalunya

Le Bob · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 60

Mid April - mid May. I'm hoping to be in Morocco the first week and half. I'm thinking of flying into Lisbon, going through Gibraltar (maybe climbing it). then flying out of Marrakesh to Barcelona. So Luna, maybe we will be better off meeting in Barcelona during the first part of your trip.

payne Berthiaume · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I am now in Chulilla, after almost three weeks in Siurana. I will probably be entering Morocco in three weeks (mid April).

I am still unsure what are the most popular places to go climb at out there... :/

richard aiken · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 0

Margalef has free camping along the river

El Chorro has a huge forest where people camp and it is along Frontales which is the long climbing mountain

Hessian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hey I'm a Brazilian/American hanging out in Malaga, Spain with my Spanish girlfriend until we go back to California second week of april. I have my weeks off and am climbing as much as I can. Planning on taking the first train to El chorro tomorrow (10:00am) and hanging out until sunday. I have a full rack, 60m rope and enough draws to play in the area. also have a decent southern spain climbing guide with a nice "el chorro section". this will be my third weekend there. I'm comfortable leading up to 6a/b but can sometimes pull off 7+. also up for climbing other areas in southern spain and like to bush camp! shoot me an email or whatsapp (hessian42) and let's see if we can meet up?!

Marcelo
(spain cel number)34-642-488243

Cara Siler-Evans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey! I'm in Marrakech at the moment and then steadily making my way back up to Spain. I'm looking for people to climb and/or trek with. I have my camping gear and harness/shoes. Anyone here to climb or has tips on where to climb/find partners? My WhatsApp number is +0015054900077  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply