Mountain Project Logo

Pawtuckaway in March?

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

Is it possible to climb there at the end of March?

Brunt Tornton · · NH · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 145

absolutely

Nick Votto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

If our weather now is any indication you'll be climbing in a t-shirt at the end of March

Brunt Tornton wrote:absolutely
Awesome! Is there a guidebook that's recommended? If I come up with my dog, what are my options in terms of lodging - camping, rentals etc?

Best is to just camp at the state park, right near the climbing and it's a pretty nice area too:

reserveamerica.com/camping/…;parkId=270061

That sounds pretty awesome, I am packing my bags!

Tyler Moody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 15
Nivel Egres wrote: Awesome! Is there a guidebook that's recommended? If I come up with my dog, what are my options in terms of lodging - camping, rentals etc?
Mountainproject has all the classic problems (and many more) but the underground guidebook is the exhaustive reference for pway. The maps and diagrams are very useful for finding your way around.

See this thread for a link to the online store for the book:
mountainproject.com/v/pawtu…
HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

Not a lot of options to stay in Raymond or surrounding area, air bnb or try manchester or Portsmouth for hotels and city stuff. The tavern is pretty good in town as is pizza by George. The gates will prob b closed and the hike in May b a muddy mile but not that bad, hopefully somebody can give u a better idea of whats dry can b hit or miss in the spring. Was dry enough for me in Jan but snowy top outs might make for wet climbs, with mopro u don't really need a guidebook if your only going once. good luck

John Doe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 28

Just to piggyback... is it worth it? (coming from NYC => ~5 hour drive). How does it compare to other areas (Gunks, Lincoln Woods, Bradley, Farley, Great Barrington, Haycock)?

Rich Brereton · · Pownal, ME · Joined May 2009 · Points: 140

Is it worth it... in a word, yes. Hundreds of classic problems on perfect granite. But the traprock and gneiss areas in western Mass and CT are worth the trip too, and closer. It depends on the grades and style you want.

ckersch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 150

Hit up Lincoln Woods for the best link ups and boulder art in New England!

matthewWallace · · Sandwich, NH · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 8,179

I know we are getting rain tonght, but how is the snow on top of the boulders looking? Looking to head down sunday.

John Doe wrote:Just to piggyback... is it worth it? (coming from NYC => ~5 hour drive). How does it compare to other areas (Gunks, Lincoln Woods, Bradley, Farley, Great Barrington, Haycock)?
Better rock and better scenery than all those spots, especially if you can get there on a weekday
HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

Just noticed somebody said camp, Campgrounds closed to memorial day I believe, could b wrong though and it's illegal to camp elsewhere in the park. pways hit or miss springtime for dry climbs. Lwoods is dry right now as r a decent amount of gunks boulders not sure bout McKenzie pond areas but prob good 2 go

Rick01 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Was out at Blair Woods today. No snow on top of any boulders and most were dry.

Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255
Nick Votto wrote: Better rock and better scenery than all those spots, especially if you can get there on a weekday
Don't like the rock at Farley? Respectfully disagree. But I love P'way, too! P'way is granite, so the style is quite different. Rock quality is generally very good, but there's choss in the park for sure. Major advantage of P'way is the sheer number of problems and areas. Many more moderates as well.
Lanky wrote: Don't like the rock at Farley? Respectfully disagree. But I love P'way, too! P'way is granite, so the style is quite different. Rock quality is generally very good, but there's choss in the park for sure. Major advantage of P'way is the sheer number of problems and areas. Many more moderates as well.
Definitely doesn't mean I don't like the rock at Farley, but Farley is smoother and has significantly less moderates, and significantly less problems all together.
Nick Brennan · · Concord, NH · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

looks like all four of those links go to the same guide. is that right?

Does the guide cover the rope routes?

Tyler Moody · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 15

All four covers of the book have the same content. For rope climbing, it documents all of the popular areas (lower slabs, upper cliffs, lakeside crag) as well as the established but less well traveled zones (devil's den, the dome, yellow dog and microwave walls). It doesn't cover every square inch of rock in the park, but there is no better reference.

Nick Brennan · · Concord, NH · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

On a totally unrelated and off-topic note, I'm desperate for a consistent partner in the area. I have an evo membership and live in concord. I've posted elsewhere on the site about it. i have a pad, large trad rack, a ton of draws, and a couple ropes. I'd love to go check out pawtuckaway or anywhere else really. drop me a line to go climbing.

So I am going alone (me and my puppy) by the looks of it.

-- so what is the consensus on camping, at the park or nearby? Anything within an hours drive, let's say

-- what are must-do lowballs? That is, things that can be done sans spotter, anything from V0 to V8

-- how hard is it to find partners over a weekend? I am not the coolest dude, but I'll buy my spotter a beer or two

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply