Mountain Project Logo

Bugaboos in May?

Original Post
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715

Would the bugaboos be good to go for climbing in early to mid may? Anybody got experience there?

Matt Carroll · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 35

the hardest of the hard climb there in the winter!

ParkerKempf Kempf · · atlanta, GA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 280

i was there in mid June in 2013 and it was....ok....there was some nasty weather, a lot of classics were wet (Becky-chouinard was a no-go unless you are psyched on gnarly mixed conditions). applebee was under a ton of snow. i think we were able to climb 4 days of 12? we saw maybe a total of 6 people the whole time we were up there. We did get to do sunhsine crack which was absolutely amazing. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but those were my conditions a month later than you are asking about.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

Go in July or August if you want to actually climb something

Kevin Ross · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Never say never, but I'd say it's highly unlikely to be (rock) climbable in May unless as Parker Kempf mentioned you're psyched on gnarly mixed conditions + post-holing. I've been up there in late June once (2010) and there was ~ 5ft of snow still at Applebee and we got chased out in a blizzard. Sounds like a pretty average snow depth so far this year based on what I'm hearing (currently at 75% of annual average at Panorama, i.e. the closest ski resort). No personal experience with May but...

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715

Wow, fast replies. Thanks everybody!

I'm not as hard as I think I am, so I will wait until the weather gets soft or I get a real hankering for an epic.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 650

You have to worry about 20 miles of dirt lumber roads that may have snow on them. I had to wait three days for them to clear a slide there once in July.

Bugaboo Road
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply