Mountain Project Logo

Pine Creek Canyon: snowed in?

Original Post
Gregg Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 10

Hi all,

New to climbing in California and was wondering if Pine Creek Canyon is a terrible idea for next weekend? Trying to find some multi-pitch trad routes and the MP description of the area says "year-round climbing is possible," but some Bay Area friends have been warning us we'd probably need some snow shovels.

Any words of advice?

Thanks!

Nick Votto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

The couple times I've been to Pine Creek it was about the same time of year, and it was prime. However a local to the area should be able to tell you how far down the snow line is right now. At the very least you could climb in the Gorge I'm guessing

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Regarding the ORG next weekend, you might want to follow up on this potential hurdle:

mountainproject.com/v/owens…

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420

Contact Wilson's Eastside SPorts for latest conditions. Also, be advised Buttermilks road is washed out and closed. Maybe alternatives to that too.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5

Based on a tgr eastside ski trip post I saw and looking into the canyon on Saturday from 395, yes, snowed in. But some climbs could be dry.

cdavey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 105

Last time I checked there was snow to the 3rd bolt on mustache and gecko wall. But if you're psyched you could probably find something dry. That canyon just doesn't get a lot of sun.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

You might have a better time if you went to Kern Slabs, New Directions.... these are close to Kernville.

This weekend shows some rain on Sunday.... but it might not rain at all and everything is sort of south-facing so it dries out very quickly.

Welcome to California

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 10,121

It's ski season!!!!

Gregg Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks all!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

If your profile is accurate, leading 5.8's, you will find PCC too cold, and snow on almost all of the climbs. PSOM slab is a great place to spend days on easy moderates. Just going to be miserable cold for another month.
As an earlier poster stated, call Wilson's East Side, in Bishop.
Kern Slabs is going to be good, free camping right there. Be aware that it is very old school grades, and as the name says, it's all about slabs.
Looked into Tollhouse?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply