Overflow Camping at Red Rocks?

Original Post
Nick Edwards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Hey there ladies and gents, I have a trip planned to come to Red Rocks with a pretty large group (about 40 of us) and before we could reserve a group site, they were all booked up for the week we are going to be there. However, we have the room for us reserved at the overflow sites according to what the BLM employee told us. However, I can't seem to find any info online about their overflow camping. I've been to Red Rocks a few times now and am pretty familiar with the area. Does anyone have any info on the overflow camping? Mainly, I'm curious about how close our sites are going to be to each other, where they are located at all (preferably in relation to the other camp sites), fire ring situations, and access to the water spickets and bathrooms. Any other info you have on them, or feel would be helpful, would be greatly appreciated as well! Thanks everyone!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

There isn't any overflow camping at red rock as far as I'm aware. I know there's walk in sites, but nothing officially designated as overflow...

I'd recommend calling them back and getting clarification on that...

Nicole Maksimovic · · Washington · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Last time I was there, some people told us there's extra camping space past the big blue dumpster immediately before you turn right into the normal campsite ring. Apparently it's only open when it's necessary, but it's supposedly a really nice area with plenty of space. HAven't seen it personally though.

Foster Conklin · · Norwood, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

There are about six or seven campsites on a loop road about a hundred yards past the huge blue dumpster. I stayed there in November when the rest of the campground was full. Forty people might be pushing it a little in terms of capacity, but there is definitely overflow camping at the red rock campground. I spoke to the caretakers when I couldn't find a site, and they were pretty helpful and friendly in terms of pointing me towards the overflow sites.

Nick Edwards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Haha, for the past few weeks I thought these overflow sites were like bigfoot, they were out there but no one could confirm their existence. Thanks Foster and Nicole for confirming that they do exist. I'll almost definitely be calling them and trying to get some more info from them again. I'm not the one in charge of our group, but I really want some more info/assurance that has been provided to me thus far about them being as there's such little known about them.

Sometimes its like pulling teeth trying to get any info out of the BLM people when you call them though. In my experiences, they have been so much easier to deal with once we get there and can talk to them face to face. I really wish they'd just make some more camping there and make it more accessible for large groups. I know were quite the large group, but with this permit system now, it make it way more difficult for us (were a university climbing club from IL). They treated us like we were a small business or guide company and wanted all this insurance info and fully inclusive itinerary and guest lists. By the time we got everything we needed for them (back in October), the group sites were full.

Thanks again though everyone! And if anyone else has any more info on it, please feel free to add!

Andre H. · · Boulder · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

A user group of about 40 people?!?!! What the hell are you bringing to Red Rocks? I really hope you aren't all planning on hanging out at the same crags or areas. Large groups require additional permits as well, so be cautioned.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply