2017 total solar eclipse

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Just a heads up/reminder, if you are planning late August trips to the Tetons, Idaho, and Oregon, the path of totality goes directly over many great climbing locales, and some pretty spectacular scenery! I can't get the map to come up, but if memory serves, the path in Oregon isn't far from Smith, and Hood?

But, it also means literally tens of thousands of extra bodies, most with exactly zero experience, some of which will think it would be cool to be up Mount Borah, the Sawtooths or the Tetons for this, and, that no one else will have the same idea! Idaho was "sold out" clear back last fall, for all the little towns in/near the path of totality. One little town near us, advertised internationally as "one of the best places to go", is trying to prepare for 30,000+. I really feel for the locals and especially the sheriffs, etc. A windfall economically, but geez...

Wish us luck for the invasion out here! Best, Helen

BryanE · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 35

I'm going to be at a music festival in Oregon during the eclipse (that's one of the features of the festival - Symbiosis - check it out!) might stop to climb at smith either before or after. The festival is just an hour and a half due east of smith. Haven't decided yet.

BryanE wrote:I'm going to be at a music festival in Oregon during the eclipse (that's one of the features of the festival - Symbiosis - check it out!) might stop to climb at smith either before or after. The festival is just an hour and a half due east of smith. Haven't decided yet.
Sounds fun! Lessee if I can guess...out around John Day, ish? Former Oregonian!

Best, H.
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 234

Going to be in Alliance Nebraska. 2"30" of totality, more or less.
Home of Carhenge. carhenge.com/

Preceeded by a weekend in the Black Hills, hopefully climbing something fun.

Don't know where I'll be, except a smidge north of here. Fire season will probably dictate that, unfortunately.

Nick Evans · · Dallas, TX · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 16

Here is the map!

Path of totality map

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

Some friends and I are hoping to do a climbing and hiking trip that coincides with watching that total solar eclipse.

Here's a page that has some more information about it AND some zoomed-in maps: mcglaun.com/eclipse/2017/ma...

We still haven't figured out what climbing destination to go for this trip yet. Smith Rock is the most obvious choice in regards to location, BUT I DO NOT want to be climbing/hiking the August heat!!!

Any recommendations?

Ten Sleep?

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 234

Here'a a map of totality in Wyoming. I think Ten Sleep is too far north.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/states/WY.htm

Mark E Dixon wrote:Here'a a map of totality in Wyoming. I think Ten Sleep is too far north. eclipse2017.org/2017/states...
OK

Any recommendations for an August-appropriate climbing area within a 3 hour drive of the path of the totality?
Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 673
Khoi wrote: OK Any recommendations for an August-appropriate climbing area within a 3 hour drive of the path of the totality?
Tensleep about an hour drive from totality.
Lander a little less than that.

In it:
Fremont Canyon
Dome Rock
Sweetwater Rocks
Tetons
Kevin MP · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 178
Khoi wrote:Some friends and I are hoping to do a climbing and hiking trip that coincides with watching that total solar eclipse. Here's a page that has some more information about it AND some zoomed-in maps: mcglaun.com/eclipse/2017/ma... We still haven't figured out what climbing destination to go for this trip yet. Smith Rock is the most obvious choice in regards to location, BUT I DO NOT want to be climbing/hiking the August heat!!! Any recommendations? Ten Sleep?
Trout Creek may be a good choice. It's directly in the center of the totality and will likely have the eagle closures lifted by August. Start early and mornings will be good up there, wrap around to the north wall for a little more shade around early afternoon, then a dip in the river when you get back to camp. More to the point, the view from the crag is tremendous to say the least and would make for prime eclipse watching!
Khoi wrote: OK Any recommendations for an August-appropriate climbing area within a 3 hour drive of the path of the totality?
Khoi, the point of my starting this thread is that, for a few days, it may be nearly impossible to get within spitting distance of these "fabulous viewing areas", which will have people on them, possibly hordes of people, who have only hiked across a parking lot. Only if they had to.

My suggestion? Try to get some kind person on here in totality to let you camp in their driveway for the eclipse, so you at least have a parking spot. Share a barbecue, some beers, nice breakfast...Then go on the climbing trip, wherever an August trip suits. Many locales will be full ahead of time, but I suspect will empty quickly after.

Personally, I wouldn't plan my once in a lifetime climbing trip for this. Just a nice trip. And, morning and evening climbing where it's toasty.

August also is squarely in tstorm and fire season, so flexibility is helpful for the mountainous west.

If Boise was in totality, I'd offer up our backyard, but, sans a motorcycle, it's going to be gridlock here, I'm thinking. Too much hype out there already.

Even knowing the remote locations to hike into, there are still only so many places to park at trailheads, let alone get into a campground.

Sorry this is so pessimistic, and I may be wrong of course, but this one raised my eyebrows last summer!

Best to you, plan well, make some new friends, be flexible, and have fun!

Helen, in Boise
Kevin MP wrote: Trout Creek may be a good choice. It's directly in the center of the totality and will likely have the eagle closures lifted by August. Start early and mornings will be good up there, wrap around to the north wall for a little more shade around early afternoon, then a dip in the river when you get back to camp. More to the point, the view from the crag is tremendous to say the least and would make for prime eclipse watching!
While the landscape at Trout Creek would make for gorgeous solar eclipse viewing, I am turned off by the idea of dealing with the punishing heat that would be expected in July.
Old lady H wrote: Khoi, the point of my starting this thread is that, for a few days, it may be nearly impossible to get within spitting distance of these "fabulous viewing areas", which will have people on them, possibly hordes of people, who have only hiked across a parking lot. Only if they had to. My suggestion? Try to get some kind person on here in totality to let you camp in their driveway for the eclipse, so you at least have a parking spot. Share a barbecue, some beers, nice breakfast...Then go on the climbing trip, wherever an August trip suits. Many locales will be full ahead of time, but I suspect will empty quickly after. Personally, I wouldn't plan my once in a lifetime climbing trip for this. Just a nice trip. And, morning and evening climbing where it's toasty. August also is squarely in tstorm and fire season, so flexibility is helpful for the mountainous west. If Boise was in totality, I'd offer up our backyard, but, sans a motorcycle, it's going to be gridlock here, I'm thinking. Too much hype out there already. Even knowing the remote locations to hike into, there are still only so many places to park at trailheads, let alone get into a campground. Sorry this is so pessimistic, and I may be wrong of course, but this one raised my eyebrows last summer! Best to you, plan well, make some new friends, be flexible, and have fun! Helen, in Boise
You make some good points.

We're going to try to make this work.... somehow....

Saw the Teton thread, so I bumped this.

Mount Borah will be packed, everywhere else also, I expect.

Best, Helen

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107
Old lady H wrote:Mount Borah will be packed, everywhere else also, I expect. Best, Helen
Places with well-known names that are easy to get to will be busy. Places that don't meet these criteria, which is probably 95% of the land the eclipse will cross between Oregon and Kansas, will be fine.

Pretty sure the summit of Mt. Washington in Oregon won't be too busy. Black Butte and Detroit Lake? Probably busier...
claty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

FYI, I live in Bend, and hotels in Madras and other towns in or near the path of totality in Central Oregon have been sold out for years. I also heard that people were flooding the state park websites to reserve campgrounds they day reservations opened (they open up 6 months in advance) so most campgrounds are full except for the few walkin sites they reserve. So if you are planning a trip around the eclipse, you might want to check out your camping/lodging options well in advance.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 110

The longest totally will be down in the hollers at Giant City SP in Southern Illinois - my old climbing haunt while in college. Suspect the lodge and cabins are already way sold out.

Nyte Knight · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
claty wrote:FYI, I live in Bend, and hotels in Madras and other towns in or near the path of totality in Central Oregon have been sold out for years. I also heard that people were flooding the state park websites to reserve campgrounds they day reservations opened (they open up 6 months in advance) so most campgrounds are full except for the few walkin sites they reserve. So if you are planning a trip around the eclipse, you might want to check out your camping/lodging options well in advance.
I can confirm the KOA near Madras, that normally doesn't take reservations more than 6 months is advanced, has been sold out for 18 months. And as of last Aug, every hotel in a 30 mile radius was sold out as well.

I managed to get a hotel in Hood River and I'm driving in Sunday night to Madras and already reserved a parking space with Solarfest. We're sleeping in the car but no traffic jams into Madras at 6 am for the eclipse....Getting back to Portland for our 6 pm flight however....

Solarfest does have some more camping spaces and is negotiating with more. you're sleeping in some farmers field but it's better than nothing.
https://www.oregonsolarfest.com/
brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

Just the other night, I saw a few rooms at hotels and a resort in central Oregon from $999 to $3200.
NOT KIDDING !

brian n wrote:Just the other night, I saw a few rooms at hotels and a resort in central Oregon from $999 to $3200. NOT KIDDING !
Wow! This prompted me to google Boise for the 20th. What little is left appears to start at around $375! And you still are an hour drive at minimum from totality

Woo. Hoo.

Best, Helen
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply