Where to go in March

Original Post
Clae Harrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi.

My name is Clae, i'm from Australia.

My partner and I will be in the US for all of March for a climbing and camping trip!

We land in LAX, pick up a campervan, then have no real plans.

At the moment we are thinking of hitting Joshua Tree, Red Rock, Zion National Park and finishing at Sierra Eastside.

We plan on keeping it simple and brining over only sport and bouldering gear.

Anything about this scream out to you locals as a bad move? Any suggestions that we haven't thought of?

Thanks!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

If you're not trad climbing, you can probably leave out Zion and head straight to the East Side.

If you're only sport climbing, you can leave out JTree, as there's no real concentration of sport climbing in the park. There is a ton of good bouldering, though.

In March it can be quite warm in the desert- perhaps too warm for good bouldering in Red Rock and JTree.

So, if you're Sport Climbing:
Red Rock and Owens River Gorge (East Side) and perhaps Lime Kiln outside of Las Vegas.

If you're Bouldering:
Jtree, Red Rock, and Bishop.

Nick Young · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 215

Kind of a haul from LAX, but there's a reason Smith is work renowned for Sport climbing. Definitely worth checking out.

Alex Rogers · · Sydney, Australia · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 40

Clae, if you are in Sydney you can borrow my Red Rock and Owens Gorge guides if you'd like.

Are you using Lost Campers? I'm renting one of their campers in Sept for a Tuolumne & Yosemite trip.

Clae Harrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks John very useful! I think I will make the effort to bring my trad rack as well then, cause want to spend some time in those national parks if even just for the camping! Any other national parks/camping spots you could recommend for that time of the year?

And thanks Nick, did have a good look at Smiths looks amazing. Just not sure if will have time, will have to play it by ear.

And Alex from Adelaide mate, just flying through Sydney with a couple hour stop over. So unless you live near the airport don't think will be able to get it! Using escapecampervans ourselves, was by far the cheapest - will give you a review when we get back if you like!

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
Clae Harrison wrote:Thanks John very useful! I think I will make the effort to bring my trad rack as well then, cause want to spend some time in those national parks if even just for the camping! Any other national parks/camping spots you could recommend for that time of the year? And thanks Nick, did have a good look at Smiths looks amazing. Just not sure if will have time, will have to play it by ear. And Alex from Adelaide mate, just flying through Sydney with a couple hour stop over. So unless you live near the airport don't think will be able to get it! Using escapecampervans ourselves, was by far the cheapest - will give you a review when we get back if you like!
I would pick 2 destinations and do 2 weeks each. If you're bringing a rack, Red Rocks is a must. Hell, you could probably spend the whole month there and still not accomplish everything you want to do there. But seriously, Red rocks for 2 weeks and then either J-tree or Sierra East side for the other two. If you try to go to 4 different places, you are going to be leaving as soon as you get familiar with the area and that just sucks.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply