LA Area LCO?

Original Post
Speeches · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

Is there a local climbing org that has the LA area under its wing?

The only groups in SoCal I know of are: Allied Climbers of San Diego, Friends of Joshua Tree, and Friends of Williamson Rock. Anyone I'm missing?

I could be wrong but to my knowledge there aren't any groups that organize for Echo, Malibu Creek, Texas Canyon, etc. This town has gyms popping up like crazy and the ailments of trash, dung, overly-large groups and fixed gear abuse will only increase as the uneducated migrate from plastic to rock.
Sure, these aren't pristine destination crags but they're the only respite from urban madness that we locals have when there isn't time to head to Josh or the like.

Anyways, just curious. Maybe such a thing exists already or wouldn't be necessary.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

There is a SoCal Climbing Facebook group. You can also search meet-up for climbers in your area.

Ben Murphy · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

There's a couple of great meetups (Riverside Rock Climbers FTW!). Also Rim of the World Climbing Club.

Speeches · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

Thanks, gents. I'll check these out.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

slucas.... do not get what you are getting at...
why do we or our beloved climbing venues need to be "under a wing"?

FOJT ... FOW... they don't do anything

If you love a place take care of it.

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

I think he is just looking out. Climbing areas do need to be under a wing. Trails need to be maintained trash needs to be removed. Go to the south and visit a crag that the scc isn't part of and the benefits become easily obvious. That's one of the first things I noticed over a decade ago moving west Stoney was the dirtiest crags I had ever seen. It appeared to have been mulched with busted beer bottles. I don't know who has done it but the place looks so much better now than when I first visited. Cheers to who ever has been making this effort. Would be great to have more organized clean up days.

Piotr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 45

American Alpine Club, Los Padres Chapter or San Diego Chapter.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply