Black Hills Camping (early Season)

Original Post
Mike Kubes · · Duluth MN · Joined May 2014 · Points: 103

Does anyone have any info regarding places to camp around the Black Hills area early season? It seems that most campgrounds don't open until the end of May. Trying to stay around the Sylvan Lake area or close proximity to the cathedral spires.

Phil Berggren · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 35

Wrinkled Rock by Rushmore. We stayed at the Horse thief Resort (private cg) on the way to Sylvan Lake from Hill City last fall. Sylvan Lake, etc. were all full. I would recommend it. Think it was cheaper than the State Park facilities, too. As a part time resident, I would tell you to be ready for unsettled, chilly, rainy, snowy weather in spring.

jdereks · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 70

Hey, Mike. Wrinkled Rock campground is open all year.

OrganicChemistry · · Tucson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

do you have 4x4? if so i know a sweet spot
dm me for details

brandon walkinshaw · · lander wy · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 80

the campground across the road from the koa.

Mike Kubes · · Duluth MN · Joined May 2014 · Points: 103

Thanks for the info everyone!

From what I have found online it looks like the Game Lodge is open Year-round with limited facilities. I have only stayed at Horsethief Lake in the past. Im looking at being out there at the end of March and trying to go as cheap as possible, planning on tent camping. I'm coming from Northern MN so I am familiar with how unpredictable the weather can be. Most likely won't be traveling with 4x4.

jdereks · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 70

Wrinkled Rock is a free primitive campground so it's probably the best option so far. Also from MN and will be out there at the end of March and May so keep in touch.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply