Mid-ten climber looking for partner

Original Post
Ben Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I live in the Nashville area and am new to climbing. Twenty-five. Experienced backcountry hiker/backpacker. Have some experience with top-rope climbig and repelling from my years in scouts. Interested in getting into trad climbing and bouldering outdoors. Jut not big fan of gyms. I am very safety oriented and willing to learn if I can find someone to show me the ropes. Willing to provide transportation to and from your favorite climbing spots in return for knowledge/experience.

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23

Quickest way to get out trad climbing is to start lead climbing in a gym.

I don't know many people that would be interested in trad climbing with you without at least a good foundation of lead climbing.

Brandon.Phillips · · Alabama · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

Lead climbing is a good foundation, but certainly not a necessity. If you start trad climbing you are likely going to be following and cleaning a lot. The best way to learn is with a mentor. Gym groups can be a good way to go though. Keep on posting on mountain project, somebody will take you out.

I'm tied up for the next couple of weekends, but shoot me a message sometime after March 10. You are welcome to come out with us.

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 90

Not to be a total dick... but I am going to ask anyway: How do you know you are a mid-ten climber if you don't even climb yet?

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

^^
Is what I was wandering. I would assume your going off what you've done TRing. I can TR 11d but lead to around 10c. Whatever you think you climb drop it a couple grades for first time leading. The mental aspect can be daunting an that's just sport. If you go trad it adds even more spice. I get it you prefer outdoors to gym as almost all climbers do. However, learning to lead climb indoors prepared me. You could learn outdoors but why not take advantage of a safe setting an people around you with knowledge. You need a solid partner preferably a mentor. Lead is very dangerous but even more so when you an joe blow head out thinking will just figure this out as you go. Check out partner finder on MP. I'm sure there is a crusty trad dude willing to teach you some stuff especially if you throw in a ride to any crag. Cheers an be smart

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Russ Keane wrote:How do you know you are a mid-ten climber if you don't even climb yet?
Russ Keane wrote:How do you know you are a mid-ten climber if you don't even climb yet?
DaveBaker · · Durham, NC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 8

There's a possibility, perhaps slim, or perhaps not, that "mid-ten" refers to a geographical region. That contains Nashville.

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 90

Ahhhh.... Mid-Tennessee! I am a douche. Oh well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply