WTB: Your junky crampons

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
JSchloem · · Homer, AK · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 50

Hey! I have this idea to modify an old pair of crampons to clip into my Nordic ski bindings so that I can ski approach in my ice boots.

Need:
1 pair of strap-in or semi-auto, aluminum or steel, crampons.

Preferably cheap. The more beat up the better. Thanks!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

What type of Nordic bindings are you trying to fit? Good old 75mm Nordic Norm 3 pin bindings should be easy: you can make a semi-flexible "duckbill" and bolt it to any crampon (once the points are ground off I suppose).

Better results if you can pick up a pair of Silvretta 404s for $100 or so. They're made for ice boot ski approaches.

I spent one day in old cable bindings once. They worked fine but it chewed into the sides of the soles of my then-new ice boots, and I wasn't too crazy about that. But if you want to try a cable binding, I have another pair that shouldn't dig into the boot, but the one time I tried it, the boots didn't fit straight into them, and the heel would come down off to the inside of the ski. It made skiing in a straight track a bit more difficult. PM me if you'd consider a pair of $20 cable bindings.

Gunkiemike wrote:What type of Nordic bindings are you trying to fit? Good old 75mm Nordic Norm 3 pin bindings should be easy: you can make a semi-flexible "duckbill" and bolt it to any crampon (once the points are ground off I suppose). Better results if you can pick up a pair of Silvretta 404s for $100 or so. They're made for ice boot ski approaches. I spent one day in old cable bindings once. They worked fine but it chewed into the sides of the soles of my then-new ice boots, and I wasn't too crazy about that. But if you want to try a cable binding, I have another pair that shouldn't dig into the boot, but the one time I tried it, the boots didn't fit straight into them, and the heel would come down off to the inside of the ski. It made skiing in a straight track a bit more difficult. PM me if you'd consider a pair of $20 cable bindings.
I've got New Nordic Norm BC bindings. Mcguivering to fit them will probably require more work, but that's the setup!

I have no idea how you're going to get a crampon frame modified to fit that kind of binding.

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

You want to climb in NNN BC Boots? Or you want crampons for your skis?

Very interested to see what you come up with.

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

so, you are trying to make an adapter to go from ice boot welt to nnn? I like that idea. Incidentally, I have climbed rock in my nnn boots, they jam pretty well and are tough.

Gunkiemike wrote:I have no idea how you're going to get a crampon frame modified to fit that kind of binding.
I got it don't worry ;)
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
amockalypsenow wrote:so, you are trying to make an adapter to go from ice boot welt to nnn? I like that idea. Incidentally, I have climbed rock in my nnn boots, they jam pretty well and are tough.
Now I get it...I think. Have you considered snowshoe bindings?
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330
JSchloem wrote: I got it don't worry ;)
If you have fab' skills, why don't you just make it all from scratch then?

For $75 I can ship you a pair of these (photo) albeit with the frontpoints removed.

Charlet/Petzl Grade 8s

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply