Minnesota State Park Climbing Permits

Original Post
Sean Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 1,922

It’s that time of the year again!

We’ve been teased with spring weather and I’m seeing photos of climbers outside taking advantage! So, it’s time for us at the MCA to remind you about State Park Climbing Permits. Do your part to help maintain a healthy and productive working relationship between the climbing community and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources!

Annual State Park Climber Permit

Who should get a State Park Climbing Permit?
Any person who is going to boulder, top rope, lead or sport climb at a state park should get a climbing permit.

What is a State Park Climbing Permit?
It is a free permit to climb at the State Park that you have chosen to visit.

How long is the permit valid?
State Park Climbing Permits are valid through Dec. 31 of the current year. Every year, you are required to fill out a new permit.

Where do I get a State Park Climbing Permit?
Permits are available at the main park office for the State Park you are visiting.

Does one permit cover all Minnesota State Parks?
No, each State Park has its own permit. Get one at each park you visit every year. This includes:
Blue Mounds State Park
Interstate State Park
Tettegouche State Park; includes climbing at both Shovel Point and Palisade Head
Banning State Park; includes bouldering at both Teacher’s Overlook in Banning State Park and bouldering on the old Johnson land now known as Eldon

Why should I get a State Park Climbing Permit?
Most importantly, the park requires it. Rangers can and do approach climbers to verify they have current permits. Additionally, climbing permits help quantify climbers as a user group of state parks. When we, the MCA, meet with DNR representatives, these numbers help us make the case that climbing is an important part of their mission.

DNR mission statement
Our mission is to work with citizens to conserve and manage the state’s natural resources, to provide outdoor recreation opportunities, and to provide for commercial uses of natural resources in a way that creates a sustainable quality of life.

How much does the permit cost?
State Park Climbing Permits are FREE! The permit is a two piece, perforated form. Fill out the information on one side and give it to the park; tear off the second side and keep it with you whenever you visit the park.

Pro tip: climbing permits make great book marks for your guidebook!

Have more questions?
Email us at info@mnclimbers.org!

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 5,382
SeanFoster wrote:... Why should I get a State Park Climbing Permit? .... Additionally, climbing permits help quantify climbers as a user group of state parks.
In other words, this tells the DNR that you find Minnesota State Parks valuable for climbing. Let them know that you value these places!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply