Mountain Project Logo

Best down jacket/brand for wide shoulders?

Original Post
Jameshew12 Hewitt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 150

I went through a long process to find a shell that fit my wide shoulders. A medium is perfect in the body and too tight in the shoulders when I move my arms around. A large is too large in the body. I settled on a large arcteryx since the body can synch in.

Now I am looking for a new down jacket and synthetic midlayer that is known to have roomier shoulders. Is any brand known to have wider shoulders than others? Anyone else gone through this?

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I go through this ( 56 chest 38 waist) and have found Arcteryx shells and Mammut softshells work well for me. I also have a Sierra Designs micro puffy that the shoulders are much larger than the body.

A list of gear I like:

Arcteryx Fortex hoody, Dually belay jacket, Beta hard shell,

The Marmot ROM hoody probably has the widest shoulders of any shell I've tried. I have an older one so..

Check out MHW belay coats. Some Mammut jackets work for me and so are crazy tight.

The old style Patagonia R1 hoody. The new ones narrow in the shoulders.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,390
Jameshew12 wrote:I went through a long process to find a shell that fit my wide shoulders. A medium is perfect in the body and too tight in the shoulders when I move my arms around. A large is too large in the body. I settled on a large arcteryx since the body can synch in. Now I am looking for a new down jacket and synthetic midlayer that is known to have roomier shoulders. Is any brand known to have wider shoulders than others? Anyone else gone through this?
BD - Their fit models are based on upside down triangle build men vs flag poles or boxes.

I've worn Pata, Arcteryx, MtnHardwear, Marmot, Rab et al.

BD by a country mile. Pata next but they can be a bit boxy. Arcteryx is more slim build athletic but tied for 2nd. MtnHardwear and Marmot tend towards the casual shopped fit IME.

I'm 6' tall, 185lbs, 42in Sport Coat size with 32-33in waist. I tend to wear BD in a SZ Large top and MEDIUM pant. BD Down Jackets are also a bit longer in the body which I like as then tend not to gap when you lift your arms. Read the reviews, often the "complaint" is they're tight in the waist. This shows you their taper bias.
Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

Also came here to suggest BD. I'm 6'4, 190, 34 inch waist and typically wear an XL in most their jackets.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply