Mountain Project Logo

Grivel Condor mods

Original Post
M Bageant · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 50

I've been thinking of getting a self-arrest pole for ski mountaineering. I like the Grivel Condor but I really want a more compact 3-section pole.

I'm thinking of getting the "old" style Grivel Condor (3-section twist lock), prying the handle off it and a BD Compactor Z-pole, and putting the Grivel handle on the BD pole. (They are the same diameter.)

Does anyone have experience doing this? Would removing the Z-pole handle break it?

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 607

Cannot comment on the Condor's modifiability, but why would you want a more compact version? I would imagine for lots of ski-mo scenarios where one would use a condor, it never goes on your backpack in the first place, from car to car. For technical couloirs, sure itd be nice to break it down, but wouldn't you rather use a B-rated mountaineering axe and just have less gear to carry?

I'd be more worried though about using an ultralight hiking pole body in place of a sturdy ski pole. I have Black Diamond Z-poles, I've had them since June and one of them is getting a bit of a radius to it now and I haven't been using them hard either... One mod on them is that you can remove the tips by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes and pulling them off and replacing them with tips that can have snowbaskets. Perhaps you could figure out a way to do this with handles? If it doesn't work then you have two messed up poles that might not be repairable though...

On the subject of self arrest ski poles themselves, to quote my roommate "just don't fall and you won't need em." That's not that helpful though...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply