Mentors for Beginning Climbers

Original Post
Dyllon W. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Needed: Experienced Climbers Who Would Be Willing To Take Beginner Climbers Under Their Wing and Teach Sustainable Climbing Methods in the Boulder Area

Richardvg03 Gilbert · · San Diego · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 113

"Sustainable climbing methods"..... you mean... climbing?

Cassandra Whelan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Dylan,
Does Boulder have any meetup groups for climbing? That may be a good place to meet a mentor.
Good luck!

Konstantin Kamushkin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

There are some new age websites that allowed climbers to connect with experienced guides, ask them a questions and find some even more support. mountainplanet.com - that one for example.

cjohns716 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Dyllon,

The best way to find people is to meet people at the gym. Check out this meet up group: https://www.meetup.com/rockclimbing-80/ that's how I found some guys to climb with. 

Also, do what you can to learn some stuff on your own so you can be a good partner while learning. Take a lead class. I took a great outdoor lead class with Colorado Mountain School and felt comfortable asking to go outside with people. I knew enough that I could help here and there and wouldn't kill myself and I could still learn more advanced techniques from them. 

While I'm definitely not an expert, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have or climb some time.

Jackson Chambers · · Springville, Utah · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

See if there's a group in facebook.

Tim C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey cjohns716,

I am getting back into climbing, I used to climb outdoors some with a more experienced friend, and I would like to learn more and start getting outside.  I looked on the site for Colorado Mountain School - do you think the lead class is geared toward more experienced climbers?  Would I be better off starting with the top rope anchor building class?  

Cheers man!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Dyllon W. wrote: Needed: Experienced Climbers Who Would Be Willing To Take Beginner Climbers Under Their Wing and Teach Sustainable Climbing Methods in the Boulder Area

climbing friend,

nothing it is "sustainable." all is impermanent and changing all the time. all physical beings will soon die. today it is never to be coming again and any of us may not be here tomorrow.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

You are in Boulder. You do not need to go looking for mentor.  There are plenty of climbers around.  Just get out.  Eventually one will find you...

Try looking up the Denver Social Climbers Meetup group...  There's also the Colorado Mountain Club as well.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
Tim Christensen wrote:

Hey cjohns716,

I am getting back into climbing, I used to climb outdoors some with a more experienced friend, and I would like to learn more and start getting outside.  I looked on the site for Colorado Mountain School - do you think the lead class is geared toward more experienced climbers?  Would I be better off starting with the top rope anchor building class?  

Cheers man!

I think the answer depends on how good you are at building gear anchors.  If all your TR experience is clipping 2-bolt anchors, then maybe a bit of training and practice is in order before taking the lead class (which, though I'm not familiar with the curriculum, probably focuses on rope management and team movement than it does the fundamentals of building anchors).

Daniel Joder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Good advice with taking a CMS class, meetup groups and going to the gym. Another idea: take a few Colorado Mountain Club classes, Boulder or Denver Group. I met most of my current partners in their Lead Class plus I filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge by taking several of their different rock climbing courses for top-roping and anchor building (I hadn't climbed since the 70s and 80s and a lot has changed!).

cjohns716 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Tim Christensen wrote:

Hey cjohns716,

Cheers man!

Hey Tim,

This was the "Learn to Lead" class with CMS. We focused on lead belaying, making an anchor on 2 bolts, following, cleaning the anchor, and rappelling. It was all sport-centric, no trad. For me, this was a great crash course into leading in general. I think if you can top rope in the 10 - 10+ range inside, this would be a logical next step. It would probably be a good refresher if its been a while since you were last leading, and I liked this class more than a lead class in a gym because we did go over setting up anchors on bolts for both TR and leading. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Yeah, I'd say the less expensive option is to try and befriend someone at the gym. I've both given contact info (no replies afterwards though, maybe I'm smelly or mean) and not given info -- based on my judgement of general knowledge, enthusiasm, and, most importantly for me, how seriously they take safety -- to random strangers at gym that mention wanting to branch to outdoors. Maybe I'll randomly meet you in the gym one day, but don't want to meet through MP (heard too many stories gone wrong here).

Doing a class is another way to both learn and find partners, but you and your partner will only know what the class teaches. For single pitch sport climbing, I personally don't think a class is really needed if you already know how to lead in gym and can find some decently knowledgeable people to teach you anchor cleaning and other outdoor nuances. As you progress, a rock-rescue and trad placements class could be worth doing if you want to venture towards multi-pitch and/or trad climbing.

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Tim Christensen wrote:

Hey cjohns716,

Cheers man!

My wife and I took CMS outdoor lead class and had a great time. Learned a lot, apply it outside often now. We had been gym climbers for a while, and all our outdoor experience was on ice. We went in having never led an outdoor pitch and came out feeling comfortable enough to branch out on our own. Hope that helps!

Tim C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Nick and cjohns - Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply