Mountain Project Logo

Can someone explain the dirtbag options for health insurance?

Original Post
JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

I'm currently in Argentina traveling, but will be returning to the states for 2-3 months for the spring season. I will not be working, but I wish to have adequate coverage in case of an accident, or if I simply need to visit a physician for a prescription.

I was working a government job until Sept last year, if the low income options depend on my 2016 salary, I won't qualify. If they depend on 2017 I will.

I had some short term insurance in October/November last year. It seemed like I was insured on paper, but if I wanted to actually use the insurance, they covered nothing.

Thanks so much for reading this far

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Hey Jeff,

Unfortunately the open enrollment period for the ACA marketplace ended January 31st. I am not sure if your travels qualify you for a "special enrollment period" but you can check. You may be eligible for medicaid, but that's state-specific. You'd have to apply through whichever state agency your permanent address is in.

Otherwise, your best option is likely an insurance broker. If you don't purchase on the Exchange, I don't believe you're eligible for a pre-paid tax credit but you will get a chunk back when you file next year.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Have you contacted an insurance broker, as Jimmy suggested above?

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

I'm assuming nothing pre-existing ? You can longer get "temporary insurance, I believe up to 6months...some suck and some are decent. Qoutes on essurance.com I believe

If you can get an ACA exception, any subsidies and credits are based on anticipated income (2017). Only silver plans get the cost share reduction as well.

You get what you pay for, everyone shops premium first..kinda depends on if you think you will need to use the insurance ? A bronze or catastrophic plan has a low or no premium but a huge deductable and even higher out of pocket .

you should have a decent network of options in SLC

NRobl · · Hyrum, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1

Some international health insurance options will cover you for a couple months when you get back to the states. I've used International Medical Group (IMG) many times while overseas and I know they have an option that provides coverage for up to two months when you get home. How good that coverage is, I don't know as I've never had to use it, but it may be worth considering.

JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

I just got short term medical through a broker. Insurance company is National General, it uses the Aetna PPO. I got quoted for $61.22 a month? sounds outrageously cheap. It has Max $1 million coverage and a $2.5k deductible.

Can someone shed some light onto how this is so cheap, where I am getting scammed? I'm not really planning on using the insurance, but I was expecting $100 to $250 per month.

Jesse Marks · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 330

I think it's because they don't expect you to exceed your deductible. That sounds about right, to me.

I would also be careful about exclusions and terms RE pre-existing conditions.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

careful with OP max,,you might have a deductable of say 3K..but an OP of 10K..common.

next work is everything..IMO there is no doubt that you get what you pay for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Can someone explain the dirtbag options for hea…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started