Mountain Project Logo

top roping

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
eli poss wrote: Don't forget about rule 1. The OP didn't ask a ridiculous question. Just because you know how to set up a TR now doesn't mean that every new climber should be expected to know how to do so without any instruction or knowledge. Did you teach yourself how to drive a car or did someone teach you? And asking google for climbing advice is probably a bad idea.
I bought freedom of the hills. I read it. I thought about it. Then I asked questions.

If you take absolutely zero initiative to learn something before asking for help and question other than "what literature should I read?" IS a ridiculous question.
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Nick Drake wrote: I bought freedom of the hills. I read it. I thought about it. Then I asked questions. If you take absolutely zero initiative to learn something before asking for help and question other than "what literature should I read?" IS a ridiculous question.
Somebody or something must have informed you about freedom of the hills. You didn't just get the idea to climb and then magically know to read FOTH.

Could the OP have put more effort in before asking this question? Yes. Does that give you permission to be a dick? No.
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Nick Drake wrote: Ask a ridiculous question and I'll give a ridiculous trolling response. This is a forum for discussing gear, not "here let me google that for you".
That must keep you very busy.
Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
eli poss wrote: Somebody or something must have informed you about freedom of the hills. You didn't just get the idea to climb and then magically know to read FOTH. Could the OP have put more effort in before asking this question? Yes. Does that give you permission to be a dick? No.
Yeah it was pretty easy to find references for books using google ;)

Replace some with *ANY* effort. Honestly if they put in some amount and had asked things like "cord vs webbing vs static rope" that would be one thing. Asking people simply spoon feed you all of the answers w/o putting one iota of effort is flat out insulting to other forum members IMO.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on needing permission to be a dick. Besides, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission anyway.
BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 385

To summarize, and add:

One dynamic rope.
A belay device with HMS style carabiner.
Reasonable number of carabiners to build anchor (4-6 locking preferably).
Reasonable length of burly static, or if you prefer, tubular webbing.
Harness, of course.
Shoes are optional, but recommended.
A bag to lug all this stuff around in.
Most important, someone to carry said bag, knows what they are supposed to do with all this stuff, and why. Oh, and this person should be someone that you trust with your life - literally!

Also, a good wall to climb.

Take your phone, or some type of smoke signaling device to alert others in case of disaster.

First aid kit for unforseen needs.

I believe a dog, baby, or both should be included with the above list too. Someone else can elaborate the intricacies going forward here.

Almost forgot... the celebratory beer for the end of the day. Drink water, or your favorite substitute during your adventure. No need for drunk goofy danglers on the wall - you're just asking for trouble from some neck meat powerhouse at that point.

Easy peasy, until something goes wrong.

Have fun.

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

Please get instruction. I was climbing in Hueco Tanks and watched a group repeatedly TR a route that I had my eye on. I was solo and got a ride on their TR. When I got to the top I saw that they had run webbing through two bolts and THE ROPE RUNNING THROUGH THE WEBBING! NO BINERS! I freaked! I had a couple of biners on my belt and rehung their rope well enough for me to come down safely. The nubes couldn't understand why I was so pissed off. They had been climbing in the gym for years, they said. Not saying this is your case, OP, but please find a safe mentor for your first few outdoor adventures.

J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 95
Buddy Smith wrote:

Please get instruction. I was climbing in Hueco Tanks and watched a group repeatedly TR a route that I had my eye on. I was solo and got a ride on their TR. When I got to the top I saw that they had run webbing through two bolts and THE ROPE RUNNING THROUGH THE WEBBING! NO BINERS! I freaked! I had a couple of biners on my belt and rehung their rope well enough for me to come down safely. The nubes couldn't understand why I was so pissed off. They had been climbing in the gym for years, they said. Not saying this is your case, OP, but please find a safe mentor for your first few outdoor adventures.

This gave me chills. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Marcusen, if you're seeing a lot of nervous people on here it isn't a personal knock on your ability. It's just that no one knows exactly what you know and we've all seen plenty of people that claimed to know what they were doing, do some pretty dangerous things. We just don't want anyone to get hurt. The fact that you're asking what gear you need leads people to believe that you don't have enough knowledge to do this safely because you would know, at a minimum, what gear is needed to set up a top rope anchor, if you had any instruction or knowledge.  Please get with someone that has experience climbing to show you now to set up a good anchor and/or get a book on building anchors. Always good to have even if you are an experienced climber.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Marc801 C wrote: I want to build a Ferrari. What parts should I buy? What tools will I need?

Yeah.....top roping is definitely as complicated as building a vehicle. 

You guys are being a tad on the ridiculous side. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Mike Brady wrote:

Yeah.....top roping is definitely as complicated as building a vehicle. 

You guys are being a tad on the ridiculous side. 

No, not as complicated, but with likely more dire outcomes if you get it wrong.

Ridiculous side? No, hyperbole to make a point.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

3 lockers, some cordage and the ability to tie two different knots.

Seems pretty manageable to me. It is top-roping not rocket science. Dude may have not done any of his own legwork but he asked a simple question and in typical fashion the MP arm-chair quarterbacks chime in with snarky bullshit instead of anything constructive.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "top roping "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started